Stihl fs 400 replacement strimmer head

islander

Hi I have a stihl fs 400 strimmer. I'm looking to replace the cutting head, but can't seem to find a decent one. I don't Like the bump feed ones, i would rather a manual line feed and preferably one with a smooth rounded Base for running along short grass. Has any one any suggestions?  The head that's being replaced was called an arnetoli motor - great head with a double spool for line but I can't find anything similar. Cheers 

Hi Jack thanks for the reply. The reason I don't like them is I used one years ago and I wasn't that impressed. I found any slight knock on the ground and it was throwing out line or when you  needed line  sometimes you were knocking quite hard to get it to release. Just always found you know where you are with a manual feed. I'll definitely look into them though. I don't have a guard on my strimmer so no blade to cut the line would it be an issue ( is it quite sensitive to knocks for releasing line). Cheers 

2 hours ago, islander said:

Hi Jack thanks for the reply. The reason I don't like them is I used one years ago and I wasn't that impressed. I found any slight knock on the ground and it was throwing out line or when you  needed line  sometimes you were knocking quite hard to get it to release. Just always found you know where you are with a manual feed. I'll definitely look into them though. I don't have a guard on my strimmer so no blade to cut the line would it be an issue ( is it quite sensitive to knocks for releasing line). Cheers 

It needs a good firm knock to get wound out I replace my heads every 12-18 month there only £25-£30 because the springs loose their strength and that's when it all starts coming out on its own I use mine without a guard I've got the head on my fs300 & my fs70r absolutely brilliant they are imo you can't go wrong with it 

Jack 

2 hours ago, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

It needs a good firm knock to get wound out I replace my heads every 12-18 month there only £25-£30 because the springs loose their strength and that's when it all starts coming out on its own I use mine without a guard I've got the head on my fs300 & my fs70r absolutely brilliant they are imo you can't go wrong with it 

Jack 

Just for future reference If the spring goes weak replace it they are about 80p.......

• Thanks 1

Just now, Richard 1234 said:

I never got on well with mine seems like people like them though

I would not use anything else but,  hey ho , as you say its a personal thing . What was the problem you found ? .