Rock machinery. Venom log splitter thoughts/experiences

Mark 77

Hi. I am considering buying a Rock Machinery Venom or V series log splitter. It is mainly for my own use as we have 2 log burners, but also bag up and sell logs as a bit of a side line. I am.considering the 12 ton, 20 ton dual split (currently on offer), and the 22 ton.

I like the compact size and price of the 12t, the current price of the 20t dual split, but the sheer power and ability to use horizontal or vertical of the 20t.

Any thoughts or experiences with any of these machines would be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks.

2 hours ago, Mark 77 said:

Hi. I am considering buying a Rock Machinery Venom or V series log splitter. It is mainly for my own use as we have 2 log burners, but also bag up and sell logs as a bit of a side line. I am.considering the 12 ton, 20 ton dual split (currently on offer), and the 22 ton.

I like the compact size and price of the 12t, the current price of the 20t dual split, but the sheer power and ability to use horizontal or vertical of the 20t.

Any thoughts or experiences with any of these machines would be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks.

Hi 

I bought the 37T model about 2 year ago and have had no trouble at all. Ok some of the welding is not pretty but it's done what it needed to do and never failed to split what's in front of it.  I went for the bigger model as it gets used on a lot of knotty arb  waste rather  than just nice clean softwood. Saying that with hindsight the 22T would probably have done fine. Only mods I've done are to weld on a log deck either side to hold a few pieces ready to split. I think this is now on the new machines ??. 

The ability to switch to vertical is handy too. 

• Like 1

I've got the 12t one.  Can't fault it.  
Would recommend it for sure. 
Owned now just over a year and split well over 40ton of logs
That's arb waste aswell 
Many thanks. I think I've decided on the 12 ton version largely down to size for storage and the price. Do you have the B&S engine? Do you find it a comfortable enough height to work at? I have seen a couple of videos of it at work and it looks great.

I got v one..  Jd engine, cheaper version. 

Pretty fast splitting actually. (I've owned many different splitters) 

I joined the 2 handles together with a piece of pipe so I can use it with one hand. 

Like I said I'm very pleased with build quality, reliability and performance. 

• Like 1

I am using the rock 12ton with the Briggs engine and it’s been great. Put about 25m* through it in the past couple of months. 

Modified the 2 handle operation to a single lever as it makes it a whole lot quicker and easier to use on your own 

4D7677D6-4C5F-4801-B980-8A12706D408C.jpeg

Edited by Shaff
  • Like 2

I got v one..  Jd engine, cheaper version. 

Pretty fast splitting actually. (I've owned many different splitters) 
I joined the 2 handles together with a piece of pipe so I can use it with one hand. 
Like I said I'm very pleased with build quality, reliability and performance. 

Ha. That is my plan, to use an upside down 'Y' to join the handles together. Looks like it would be easier to use stood to the side using left hand to position the logs and right hand to operate the lever. I take it theres no real difference between that engine and the B&S? It starts and runs fine?

I am using the rock 12ton with the Briggs engine and it’s been great. Put about 25m* through it in the past couple of months. 
Modified the 2 handle operation to a single lever as it makes it a whole lot quicker and easier to use on your own 

4D7677D6-4C5F-4801-B980-8A12706D408C.thumb.jpeg.ce08b817528436349aa7dd76152f2e6f.jpeg

Good mod - may try and copy ot when I get mine! Thanks.
  • Like 1

bought 35 t new in dec 2017; modded with a light log deck, changed zinc coated fixings for stainless (rust showing in a few weeks on zinc), protection angle pieces for indicators and poorly protected wires. put approx 70m3 through it last week, no reliability or build issues so far. 

• Like 2