Larger processor for making smaller logs?

Woodworks

3 minutes ago, andy cobb said:

I don't think I could make it pay if I wasn't buying timber standing and felling myself.

The guys that are having to buy in at £65+ a ton must be feeling the pinch, and I can't see it getting better anytime soon even with ash dieback.

There's plenty of wood out there. Is it a problem of not enough cutters, or not enough will from woodland owners to carry out management?

2 minutes ago, andy cobb said:

I don't think I could make it pay if I wasn't buying timber standing and felling myself.

The guys that are having to buy in at £65+ a ton must be feeling the pinch, and I can't see it getting better anytime soon even with ash dieback.

I think I was paying £50 per tonne delivered in our early days 6 years ago and now £65-£70 so that's £15 to £20 per tonne more but that's just £7.50- £10 more per cube of logs. Doesn't seem too bad IMO but it may get out of hand in due course. Time will tell

29 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

I think I was paying £50 per tonne delivered in our early days 6 years ago and now £65-£70 so that's £15 to £20 per tonne more but that's just £7.50- £10 more per cube of logs. Doesn't seem too bad IMO but it may get out of hand in due course. Time will tell

£75 from EF last week Beau ! We are planning to increase our turnover as well as raising £5 m3, it's the only way forward as I have invested heavily in a lot of equipment.

Edited by arboriculturist

For use in a stove you need turbulance between the logs,  so 2 maybe 3 need loading at a time.   I cut mine to have a circumference on the wide end of no more than 150mm.  An open fire could take chunkier logs,  most of the heat goes up the chimney anyway.

A