Netting logs

andy cobb

We don't do many log nets, maybe a thousand a year but a new customer has requested another thousand.

Now both me and the guy who works for me hate netting with a passion, but my mechanics son has shown an interest in it.

he's only 14 and I'd have to drop the logs and nets and tray at his house so he can work supervised by parents and in a safe environment, and it would be as and when his school- homework allows.

the issue is I don't know how much to pay, normally pay about 7.50 an hour for netting but obviously the young lad might only get 20 mins at a time.

ive no issue paying somebody younger the same rate as somebody older as long as the job is done correctly, I'm just wondering if anybody has done the calcs and worked out a unit price for filling an individual net so I can say to the lad it's X amount per net.

Hoping this isn't coming across as a slave labour thread, but if it is does anybody have any cheap branding irons!

We don't do many log nets, maybe a thousand a year but a new customer has requested another thousand.
Now both me and the guy who works for me hate netting with a passion, but my mechanics son has shown an interest in it.
he's only 14 and I'd have to drop the logs and nets and tray at his house so he can work supervised by parents and in a safe environment, and it would be as and when his school- homework allows.
the issue is I don't know how much to pay, normally pay about 7.50 an hour for netting but obviously the young lad might only get 20 mins at a time.
ive no issue paying somebody younger the same rate as somebody older as long as the job is done correctly, I'm just wondering if anybody has done the calcs and worked out a unit price for filling an individual net so I can say to the lad it's X amount per net.
Hoping this isn't coming across as a slave labour thread, but if it is does anybody have any cheap branding irons!
Is it not just as simple as working out how many you could do yourself in an hour and dividing it by a fair hourly rate? Then if he's able to do more in the hour than you that's his choice.
  • Like 2

Think your right but that means I have to spend an hour netting logs. My god how I hate those finger nail snatching little bastards.
guess there's no other way!
has anybody experimented with the us way of making a wheel of logs and wrapping with shrink wrap?

Think its time to get your hands dirty for an hour i’m afraid! And seems the fairest way about it.

Think your right but that means I have to spend an hour netting logs. My god how I hate those finger nail snatching little bastards.
guess there's no other way!
has anybody experimented with the us way of making a wheel of logs and wrapping with shrink wrap?

Get a plastic bin/bucket cut the bottom off. Put bin in net, fill bin, remove bin.
[emoji106]
  • Like 4

Two of us, one bagging, the other tying and stacking as well as fitting the empty bags over the chutes can do 50 bags at our leisure in an hour. 60 plus if the pressure is on, as low as 30 if we bring a bottle of wine out to the shed!
On my own I get about 30-35 an hour.. so let's say an energetic and eager 14 year old can match that, in the region of 20-25p a bag would be appropiate?

25 p a net seems fair. I actually wouldn't mind overpaying him a little as he's a really nice lad who's keen to work with his hands and always helping his dad when he can ( he valets all the cars that his dad works on)

im gonna fill a bulk bag with logs today and see how long to net them using the tray.

The thought of doing 2 thousand almost brings me to tears, how people do wagon load upon wagon load is beyond me?

25 p a net seems fair. I actually wouldn't mind overpaying him a little as he's a really nice lad who's keen to work with his hands and always helping his dad when he can ( he valets all the cars that his dad works on)
im gonna fill a bulk bag with logs today and see how long to net them using the tray.
The thought of doing 2 thousand almost brings me to tears, how people do wagon load upon wagon load is beyond me?

Let him have a stab at it, if he takes to it then happy days, if hes not keen then your back at square one. Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say.
I think any young kid these days showing an interest in getting off their arse and having a go at something should be encouraged and rewarded, theres not many that are prepared to put their phones down or leave the xbox, and parents dont tend to encourage them to now either.
  • Like 2

Get the lad on it and pay him a fair rate, but find a way he does a few and then you have a sit down to negotiate the final price per net.

The lesson for him in actually weighing up all the variables and how he values his time is priceless experience at that age.

Nice to hear hear the lad is keen to work and earn.

Eddie

• Like 2