Encouraging natural generation after clearfell

1 hour ago, Spruce Pirate said:

Shallow rooting, generally considered that self seeders do not root as well as planted trees (although quite how natural forests have managed to survive quite so well if this is the case has always puzzled me).

I find that surprising as I'd expect self seeders to be more likely to have retain tap roots than transplanted trees.

A few thoughts:

- Good idea to retain the existing hardwoods as seed trees.

- Are there many Deer/Rabbits/Hare about?

- You could maybe think about planting at a quarter of the final required stocking density, with the expectation that natural regen will fill in the gaps. This will allow you to introduce specific species and from more southerly provenance to protect against climate change variations.  

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 09:54, Gary Prentice said:

I find that surprising as I'd expect self seeders to be more likely to have retain tap roots than transplanted trees.

It's something that I've often heard quoted Gary, but I've never quite understood as clearly trees have been growing quite happily by themselves for a very, very long time.  I think the theory is that by notch planting the roots are put into the ground deeper to start off with but self seeders tend to spread out on the surface more.  It is fair to say that this is in the context of conifers rather than broadleaf's.  It also assumes that the trees are planted right! :lol:

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Don't know if this has any relevance but after the 87 storm the natural re gen did much better than the planted up areas . Around here anyways .

Interesting! 

I had a meeting with the landowner this evening, and as well as marking plots, measuring trees and such like, we also discussed planting. Most likely to go with a fully planted approach, but on 3x3m spacing (usually plantation is 2x2m). This will allow natural regeneration to infill between the tubes to an extent, and also keep the costs down a bit. 

Thanks for all the input folks :D

• Like 2