Small winch on 6" Timberwolf

Conorjm10

i would of thought a much bigger ( more than 1t.) winch mounted on the vehicle which tows the chipper would be a better bet.

winching trees along the ground with a low anchor point seems to need a lot of pull, i wouldnt of thought a 1ton winch would shift much of a tree.

That looks like a good piece of kit! How much do they come in at? And to be honest the winch on the chipper wont cost me much as my mate will charge me peanuts for fabrication and fitting, a small 1 tonne winch comes in at £90 for a decent brand so probs looking at £250 all in.

I’ve a mate who did it, it was terrible. 1 tonne is nowhere near enough and they are super slow, the patrol capstan winches are a much better option.

We had them on tracked chippers on the railways years ago

Used them more for accessing dodgy areas (up/down) seriously steep slopes and occasional pulling trees over.

If u have anchor point high enough surprising wot it pulled.

Electric winches are hard on the battery if winching a lot.

Possibly I'd look at a hydraulic winch and take a feed of the rollers or buy a petrol 1 as mentioned

We have a biggish warn winch fitted to a 8” tracked jensen, it’s good and Jensen’s are better built that a tinny wolf but electric winches are really for rescue, yes you can pull trees etc with them but there hard on batteries and the winch motor as it will get maxed out all the time, our big Bandit has a hydraulic winch and designed fir pulling all day, if it gets maxed out it simply won’t pull but it won’t burn out!

I reckon that’s a better option.

If you get your mate to fab an anchor point onto the top of the hopper, you could attach a pulley there as and when needed and still use the winch via a redirect.

Providing the chipper isn’t hooked up to the Hilux.

That would be a ball ache.

The 1 or 2 problems u will still have is electric winches are still not designed for constant or regular use and are sore on battery.

I'd be worried if ur using the winch to drag brash us burn motor out and/or flatten the pick up battery.

I know when I used to do more snow ploughing on a quad constantly lifting the plough would really strain the battery and lights would dim and gear changes slow down ( electric shift gears) after an hour or so.

And that's with the bike running constantly and very short light pulls, nothing like the long drags ur talking about 

8 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

I reckon that’s a better option.

If you get your mate to fab an anchor point onto the top of the hopper, you could attach a pulley there as and when needed and still use the winch via a redirect.

Providing the chipper isn’t hooked up to the Hilux.

That would be a ball ache.

would that not tip the chipper up if it wasnt hitched up?