Small winch on 6" Timberwolf

Conorjm10

Hi there, Just wondering if anybody has bothered fitting a small winch on a small tow behind chipper? I work with one ground guy usually and theres been a few jobs lately where one would have come in handy, storm damage and also thinking long up hill drags and certain fells where instead of someone bursting blood cells on the pull line simply winch it over. I have a mate who can manufacture a mounting plate to fit it to the chipper. Just curious to see if anybody else has tried it and if its actually come in handy more than they thought or am i just finding excuses to stick a winch on everything ha! Also any pics would be great!

12 minutes ago, Ian Clarke said:

Consider this https://eder-powerwinch.com/en/powerwinch-1800/

We have one at work and you can then move it to what ever location you need it. It's a brilliant bit of kit. I don't know how much a winch on the back of the chipper would cost but I don't think you would have much change out of the price for this.

That looks like a good piece of kit! How much do they come in at? And to be honest the winch on the chipper wont cost me much as my mate will charge me peanuts for fabrication and fitting, a small 1 tonne winch comes in at £90 for a decent brand so probs looking at £250 all in.

Also the winch on the chipper will be ready to go instantly so say your felling small trees you can drag them whole to the chipper and sned there as opposed to snedding where they land and walking back and forth to the chipper if that makes sense, where as if i have to set something up it wont be worth that hassle.

5 hours ago, Ian Clarke said:

£2340 inc vat will  get you 1800kg straight pull. It can be doubled up with the pulley the provide to 3600kg. 

Reg Coates mounted something similar on top of his chipper hopper, it looked bloody handy! His chipper is much heavier and better made than a Timberwolf tho. He has a video of it too.

I think you'll find a 1t electric winch will soon not be enough for you, especially if your wanting to fell things with it. The ratings on winch seems to be odd, I have a warn 9500lb ( just over 4t) winch on my truck, it works fine, but would rely on my tirfor 1.75t winch more, especially if mr ballsup is lurking around the corner