Husqvarna 50 special?

BordersMerlin

Hi everyone and firstly a hello to you all; just joined arbtalk having read a few threads from “the outside” and I am looking forward to being part of the community. 

I am hoping someone here might be able to help me- I want to repair my dad’s old Husqvarna 50 (barrel and piston are damaged due to running without enough / with no 2-stroke mixed...). he’s owned it from new but was going to throw away. 

Problem is I can’t tell if it’s a “special” (45mm I believe) or a regular 44mm 50. 

If anyone can give me a steer I’d be very grateful and it can help me get the correct new cylinder etc.

(also- I notice that most aftermarket cyclinders have a decompression valve but the original does not, can’t see a problem with that unless anyone knows better?)

thanks,

merlin

Ps was taken apart by a local dealer to assess the damage

27C50FCE-DB48-49DA-82CC-641F72C1BC65.jpeg

4502C4C9-3A78-44BF-A41F-8BF5CE941E48.jpeg

58BC7131-D189-4F6A-BCEE-A710AA635D0A.jpeg

FF2ED0DA-5048-45A3-B793-A611168C9BE2.jpeg

A7959649-B2D3-4405-AB56-1A707C4D50BB.jpeg

39C75EB3-3F30-42AD-8F8E-38C8A1F00C05.jpeg

A75EBE72-374C-47AD-8719-B1EBA879D5DC.jpeg

2B195BA8-39FD-40C1-9D95-2387E51A286E.jpeg

• Like 2

Absolutely correct 44mm bore, not an original 50 as it has the grey top cover ( the original was white ) nice to see the 300 decal as well, the 50 and 51 never had a deco valve, that came with the 55, classed as afarmers saw when first launched, and went on for many years.

Clean the cylinder up and fit a new piston, the quality of the OEM part will always be better than a £15 Chinese one off Ebay. Stick with Meteor, Hyway or a branded piston manufacturer and all should work out.

Make sure the seals and fuel line are OK as these older saws often need a bit of TLC to bring them back again.

Thanks everyone- really appreciate the advice. good to know it’s the 44mm version of the 50 (not the 45mm Special)

Had look again at the cylinder but it’s really scored so won’t be able to use it.  Pic attached and it feels very rough in real life.

I have read that you can drop a 45mm c/p onto most 50s made after a certain date (but not before that date as the crankcase won’t accept the deeper “skirt” bits).

anyone know when the crank changes happened (and so whether my saw would take a 45mm barrel) - just interested as the 44mm cylinders are surprisingly hard to find.

Thanks

Merlin

6448FD43-D3BD-4076-9877-DF706743591A.jpeg