New Mill suggestions?

twmarriott

1 hour ago, topchippyles said:

I have sent you a message as looking at selling my 7 month woodlands HM 130 as upgrading to a woodmizer.

Hi 

just wondering why such a quick upgrade ??. Did the 130 serve you well etc. I looked long and hard at the smaller woodmizer range but just could not justify the outlay and as for used well they tend not to come up very often. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Hi 

just wondering why such a quick upgrade ??. Did the 130 serve you well etc. I looked long and hard at the smaller woodmizer range but just could not justify the outlay and as for used well they tend not to come up very often. 

Cracking saw but looking at the hydraulics side of things for mobile use,Its not my first woodlands saw and would get another one but just not the option to self load the mill for mobile cutting.The woodlands HM 130 still has 15 months warranty to.

Edited by topchippyles

2 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Cracking saw but looking at the hydraulics side of things for mobile use,Its not my first woodlands saw and would get another one but just not the option to self load the mill for mobile cutting.The woodlands HM 130 still has 15 months warranty to.

Ok that's a valid point as once on the trailer the height certainly jumps up a bit. It is on my list of things to do with mine ie a hyd log loader along with hyd toe boards. I know it will never have the robustness of some mobile hyd mills out there but hopefully it will do what I need it to do and at a tolerable cost. Is your current 130 in a trailer ??

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Ok that's a valid point as once on the trailer the height certainly jumps up a bit. It is on my list of things to do with mine ie a hyd log loader along with hyd toe boards. I know it will never have the robustness of some mobile hyd mills out there but hopefully it will do what I need it to do and at a tolerable cost. Is your current 130 in a trailer ??

No its floor mounted and set up in the mill,We will be moving in 3 months time so would be nice to have all options available so mill on site or in our unit.

WP_20180818_11_56_39_Pro.jpg

Edited by topchippyles

21 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

No its floor mounted and set up in the mill,We will be moving in 3 months time so would be nice to have all options available so mill on site or in our unit.

WP_20180818_11_56_39_Pro.jpg

Good set up for bad weather etc. You use the 360 to load the mill ??. 

You do much cutting for traditional timber framing ? 

20 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Good set up for bad weather etc. You use the 360 to load the mill ??. 

You do much cutting for traditional timber framing ? 

Yes use the 360 with grapple,Will cut for what ever comes in really but a mobile mill is so handy and with hydraulic option no need for a a 360

29 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Yes use the 360 with grapple,Will cut for what ever comes in really but a mobile mill is so handy and with hydraulic option no need for a a 360

Well that's my plan in the end to be hydraulic for loading and toe boards I reckon that's as far as I'll go. Timber framing ??. 

• Like 1

On 22/03/2019 at 08:08, twmarriott said:

milling perhaps twice a week large diameter beaming through and through timber mainly hardwoods but large diameter over 1mtr and up to 36 foot, currently using  a band rack and a circular rack with 8 foot blade but need to get more "up to date" and commercial, its taking too long and loosing too much in kerf.

general thought were horizontal band mill but no idea what make or new/ 2nd hand... budget 10-20k?

any ideas?

a band rack and circular are at the commercial end of sawmills available and to reproduce the equipment you have new today would be touching a 100k, no joke a new primlutini 1200 saw head is £55k +vat and its basically a 48(i have the quote?). 

i bet they haven't broken much in 20 years too because back then stuff had to work unlike today where we have failures due to design parameters. there are a handful of brandnew sub £20k mills up here that are falling to bits after a few days work. 

i think you will struggle to find a mill for your budget that could be considered an upgrade. sorry if im a little critical 

• Like 2