Petzl OK and chicane

Rupe

13 hours ago, Rupe said:

Chicken? Think I meant chicane, but chicken might do from now on!!

I thought it was a reference to the zigzag body and neck! It's going to get used..

It all looks good for using the older style zigzag on drt then and being able to clip on the chicane for access. Sounds smooth. Not that I wouldn't love to be so fluent with srt as to want to use it on everything!

Was looking at a few things on youtube for the chicane and came across these which I thought were interesting. First is with the rw but is interesting with the zigzag ratings as well as the failure points. The second is a pull test and shows the creep at over 400kg with the Chicane. If Petzl have said their tests have shown the same then that's reassuring!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB5shC1SaSM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxxAG8YnAj8

On 29/03/2019 at 20:28, Mark Bolam said:

They are both the newer model mate.

The + has a swivel.

If you use an older model for SRT you will die instantly.

Good to know! I’ve heard srt is already twice as dangerous as ddrt anyway so it sounds like the odds are well against me!?

6 hours ago, Treetom15 said:

Good to know! I’ve heard srt is already twice as dangerous as ddrt anyway so it sounds like the odds are well against me!?

Course it is mate. You only have half the rope. It has to be twice as dangerous 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, stihlmadasever said:

Yes,but to be fair its CE marked and is rated to use with the zz.

In my honest opinion i think petzl have been pretty smart on this except how it looks.

Fugly!

I don't think it's fair at all. They've blatantly copied the design and all the hard work a climber has put in to rip it off and dropped a pig ugly product 

• Like 5

Rupe how are you a advancing the chicane on ascents?
Neck tether?
Don't know yet. I don't think it needs a neck tether as it's so stiff but it is designed to be connected via the extra hole in the zz to stop it falling below the waist when not loaded.

Will try it tomorrow.

I agree with the comments about stealing the design. But I think (even though I've not tried it) that they might have ironed out some issues. The whole stiff tether attachment was always a bit of a bodge on. To keep it stiff it needed to be connected directly to the lower krab on a hitch climber pulley. Or attach it via a separate connector and lose the stiffness.

I think I'll still use WR HC combo, but I'm looking for smoother switch back and forth if possible.

• Like 2

I don't think it's fair at all. They've blatantly copied the design and all the hard work a climber has put in to rip it off and dropped a pig ugly product 

Off the back of ripping off Kevin Bingham who I don’t know but have a load of respect for after making my life easier and revolutionising climbing across the board with the wrench,he has obviously put a lot of time in to be ripped off ..petzl won’t see another penny of my money on any of there products.

• Like 5