Petzl OK and chicane

Rupe

So I got me on of those chicanes! Don't know why really as I have full srt kit with a hitch/climber and I have a zig zag for Ddrt, but I thought why not try it with the zig zag for srt ascent on jobs where I will probably switch back to Ddrt 

The attachment hole wont fit my petzl Ok Karabiners in it?? In the instructions it says use only and "OK" or an "AM'd" Karabiner. 

Has the design of the Petzl OK's changed to a different profile? 

It does look as though, with the right karabiner fitted, it will hold rigidly in place. I was concerned that karabiner attachment would mean it would flop around but I don't think it will. Also, the new zig zags with the extra hole also look as though one hole is especially designed to fit a certain profile only and hold it firmly in place. 

I'm sure someone knows all this already, but I couldn't find any info and I'm just slow to catch on! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Reckon you're the only one to buy one so far!!! 

Have you tried this @Mark_Skyland

TBH I saw Rupes post and I did mean to check it out today but I didnt. Just been a really busy day, anyway I do know that Petzl updated their crabs about 12-18 months ago and they now have an I beam construction as shown below (selfless plug to web site)

https://www.skylandequipment.com/petzl-ok-triact-oval-carabiner-karabiner.html

I presume your crab is more rounded like this one product_petzl_OKScrewLock_2.thumb.jpg.245facd4f935639e518e4a827ecaff66.jpg

In which case there is probably not much room for manoeuvre, I guess the dmm ultra O will fit (will check it out next week)  but probably not much else.

On 22/03/2019 at 21:47, William Clifford said:

Hi Rupe, karabiners aside, does the old single hole zigzag work with the chicane? I like the idea of being able to use it to access also. Just about to replace my zig zag and would prefer the smaller looking mk3 I think.

Not tried it yet as I dont have any Krabs to fit. Other biners might fit but the whole point seems to be that you need to use a new Petzl OK as it will fit rigidly and therefore make the whole tether/handle rigid. In which case it will only work properly with the new zig zag. The old type would be ok but the conections will "fold" if thats the correct description. To avoid it you could use a neck tether like the WR but I think that can be avoided with the proper set up. 

Yes, Mark. My 6 or so OK's are all like that. 

Had a try out of a few different crabs today and it does look like its the new shaped Petzl OK or AMD only unfortunately. As you say though Rupe it is to rigidly hold the carabiner and stop it flopping about. Looks like we will have to update the web site description to make it clear that it is the latest design of carabiner only.

Had same when I bought mine, Rupe is not the only one.  Already had Petzl OK biners so just got the Chicane, shape of the OK karabiners has indeed changed.  Got the new shape, bit of a snug fit but keeps it nicely aligned.  Also using it with the original single hole ZZ & works fine.  Like the consistency & smooth control, don't need to fiddle about fine tuning hitch cord, it just works out the box, once you have the correct biners.

Doesn't it slip at the old zig zag end of the Petzl OK? Slip maybe not the right word, flex maybe? Once the whole system is rigid it would work much better I would think. Theres an aluminium rigid tether for the rope wrench that looks great but rather over engineered maybe, this chicane thing (with its proper biners) looks better if you might want to switch between Ddrt and SRT, its just a simple karabiner to undo.