Spying on subcontractors

simonm

Personally I would never lower my self to this appalling level of manipulation and unpleasantness. 

I mean, an ipad????

I wouldn't resort to associating with one of those things even they paid me the £40.

Sent from my Huawei smart-toaster.

Edited by Bolt
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Emotional topic. At least they're not asking you to ware an ankle tracker like Amazon does. From their end, they have a responsibility to their shareholders and customers to keep costs down while maximizing profits, and they believe the ipad is the most efficient way to achieve that. Of course, it won't work in practice, as the guys who would have skived anyway will just go slow I instead. There is no way to quantify value for money in a diverse and un-repetitive work environment, other than human observation coupled with experience - which also costs money. And then, who watches the watchers? Free market and free contract means you know what you're getting into and you takes your choice. 

• Like 1

Facts are this isn’t about the MD spying on your movements, it’s just them keeping up with the demands of their own clients.

Things have moved on and the ability to provide clients with almost real time information of what they’re paying for, with actual timings, images, graphs, charts etc is pure gold to all involved.

The manager of the actual client will have to spell out up the chain clearly how his budget is going, how he’s striving to ensure things are properly and efficiently delivered. Taking the branded Tablet he’ll be provided with F.O.C from the Contractor they chose to deliver their work into his meetings to provide all the required data is a very easy win.

It can have its uses especially in Winter Maintenance, you clear and grit a site, take your photos, have the screen signed by a manager of the site etc.

Someone falls down later in the day claiming it’s not been cleared, that client has everything from when the call out was issued, what the site was like on arrival, to measures undertaken that have mitigated the risk.

Again pure gold to them.

It’s just how it is and if you don’t want to find your own contracts and wish to continue down this route, just suck it up.

I never wished to drive a machine looking like an orange Teletubbie, half or full day inductions plus a medical to go on almost every site, more worthless tickets than a raffle, pay about 25k to fit everything from green lights to say the seatbelt is on, more lights than a Xmas tree, monitors for every movement, to putting hi viz tape on the grab handle and steps to even get in the cab!

However if I wish to continue to work in the sort of environments I do, there’s no point fighting against it.

No way of dressing it up, either get your own show or spend the extra time in the van getting some alternative work and finding a way to ensure your costs to them now include another £40 every month.

Eddie.

Edited by LGP Eddie
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1