Spying on subcontractors

simonm

1 minute ago, simonm said:

Yes a argee, actions of a few spoil it for many. But if they are getting through the work you are giving them and it's done well and your not having to go back trying to justify why they have done a shit job as not to make you look bad then for me I would be happy.

Firms should be assessed on their ability and if they are prepared to go the extra mile to keep the work flowing. All this spying on folk on the sly just rubs people up the wrong way and spoils working relationships.

But Mark had a good point. Is it day rating or per job?

4 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Is there any way to prove your worth or are they just that big that they dont care?

We have a portfolio of work we have done for them over the past 2 years & I get on really well with their area managers who both give glowing reports on what we are doing. Were not perfect but we do give them value for money. They do find it had to find good stubbies so I can't see them chopping us. But unfortunately the bloke at the top of the tree is clueless as to the challenges faced on site.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, essential said:

they'd be watching and listening to your every word and movement if wanted ...a bit to big brother for my liking and you've got to pay 40 £ for the pleasure ....can they contractually make you commit to this ??

We are half way through a 12 month contract so I suppose they could try write it into any new ones. This isn't set in stone yet just a roumer

5 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I don't know what the privacy laws are, but I do a fair bit of sub contact, and freelance work. I'll tell you them to poke it. You send me the spec, I'll do the job, if you don't trust me find someone else. 

If it came to it I wouldn't really want to walk out as it's good work if you ignore the politics...but on principle I wouldn't stay, if we were shit and tossed about doing nowt I would hold my hands up but we do genuinely work.

7 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

But Mark had a good point. Is it day rating or per job?

We get paid for time on site, but more often than not we hammer the work out and often get done earlier. Sometimes get done earlier but we also sometimes work over to get it done so it's swings & roundabouts.

Just now, simonm said:

We get paid for time on site, but more often than not we hammer the work out and often get done earlier. Sometimes get done earlier but we also sometimes work over to get it done so it's swings & roundabouts.

Well then Id have implemented the iPads a long time ago. :D 

• Like 1