Spying on subcontractors

simonm

So basically we subcontract to a large company who shall remain nameless, the MD doesn't trust anyone so he is having an app designed to be installed in a tablet to which his employees will use in site to record their site inspections. The app will also record their whereabouts and time on & off site. 

They are pushing for contracts to buy an iPad which presumably will be on a contract around £40 per month "no chance" so we can photograph the work after we have done it and it will automatically be uploaded so the MD can see what we are doing! The iPad will also track our movements throughout the day! 

Does anyone know the privacy laws relating to this? There's no way I am having a firm we subcontract to spying on my whereabouts throughout the day. I want to get my ammunition ready before they try & push this rubbish on us.

2 minutes ago, simonm said:

So basically we subcontract to a large company who shall remain nameless, the MD doesn't trust anyone so he is having an app designed to be installed in a tablet to which his employees will use in site to record their site inspections. The app will also record their whereabouts and time on & off site. 

They are pushing for contracts to buy an iPad which presumably will be on a contract around £40 per month "no chance" so we can photograph the work after we have done it and it will automatically be uploaded so the MD can see what we are doing! The iPad will also track our movements throughout the day! 

Does anyone know the privacy laws relating to this? There's no way I am having a firm we subcontract to spying on my whereabouts throughout the day. I want to get my ammunition ready before they try & push this rubbish on us.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. You're on company time, so Im sure you have nothing to hide regarding your work or how you spend time you sold to the company? 

If you dont like it then dont Sub to them. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. You're on company time, so Im sure you have nothing to hide regarding your work or how you spend time you sold to the company? 

If you dont like it then dont Sub to them. 

So you're happy signing up to a £40 a month phone contract for a company you bend over backwards for to see where you are in your own personal vehicle on and off site. To be able to collect and store information on where your equipment and vehicle is kept, we are paid to do a job which we do and do well. I understand there's good and bad stubbies ones you can and can't trust believe me I know. Difference is I retain the good ones and get rid of the bad ones...there is a word called TRUST.

Just now, simonm said:

So you're happy signing up to a £40 a month phone contract for a company you bend over backwards for to see where you are in your own personal vehicle on and off site.

If it was worth it in the long run then Yes. You can always say no and work for someone else. :) 

1 minute ago, simonm said:

To be able to collect and store information on where your equipment and vehicle is kept,

If you dont like it then  dont work for them. 

2 minutes ago, simonm said:

we are paid to do a job which we do and do well

Im not saying your not. But the question has to be asked why they feel the need to implement this then? Clearly you are not the only Sub Contractor and maybe some bad Apples are spoiling it for every one?

3 minutes ago, simonm said:

there is a word called TRUST.

And it seems the Main Contractor feels they dont have that with their Subbies. :) 

• Like 4

I guess if it depends on what sort of sub-contracting you are doing.

If the prime contractor tells you "fell those four trees" or "clear that span", so long as you are working within the remit of your RAMS it's my opinion that it's none of his business what time you get to site or leave.

If however you are subbing in on a day rate, then if I was the prime contractor I'd want to keep an eye on what my subcontractors were doing... there are too many people in this industry that take people for a ride in terms of value for money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

If it was worth it in the long run then Yes. You can always say no and work for someone else. :) 

If you dont like it then  dont work for them. 

Im not saying your not. But the question has to be asked why they feel the need to implement this then? Clearly you are not the only Sub Contractor and maybe some bad Apples are spoiling it for every one?

And it seems the Main Contractor feels they dont have that with their Subbies. :) 

That's exactly it they have being pissed around by companies in the past but to tar everyone with the same brush just doesn't do it for me. 

Yeah I won't be working for them if this comes through.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, simonm said:

That's exactly it they have being pissed around by companies in the past but to tar everyone with the same brush just doesn't do it for me. 

Yeah I won't be working for them if this comes through.

Is there any way to prove your worth or are they just that big that they dont care?

1 minute ago, Mark Wileman said:

I guess if it depends on what sort of sub-contracting you are doing.

If the prime contractor tells you "fell those four trees" or "clear that span", so long as you are working within the remit of your RAMS it's my opinion that it's none of his business what time you get to site or leave.

If however you are subbing in on a day rate, then if I was the prime contractor I'd want to keep an eye on what my subcontractors were doing... there are too many people in this industry that take people for a ride in terms of value for money.

Yes a argee, actions of a few spoil it for many. But if they are getting through the work you are giving them and it's done well and your not having to go back trying to justify why they have done a shit job as not to make you look bad then for me I would be happy.

Firms should be assessed on their ability and if they are prepared to go the extra mile to keep the work flowing. All this spying on folk on the sly just rubs people up the wrong way and spoils working relationships.

• Like 2