Beware the Blackthorn Winter

Billhook

Now today is a classic example of what I understand a Blackthorn Winter to be.   We had a balmy warm day on Wednesday and as I said I walked the farm in a T shirt.

Today I set off for my morning bike ride with gloves,  a thick pullover and wax jacket and yellow vest and helmet.  A biting North West wind made me wish I had put my balaclava on and I was frozen after four miles.

In the yard processing wood in the shelter of the open front shed which is protected from the North West it was pleasant in the sun but as soon as you moved into the open it was bitter.

I do not think it means that there has to be snow, although that can happen.  It is a sudden change that happens when the blackthorn flowers which usually corresponds with the equinox but whether that has any influence I know not.

On 21/03/2019 at 16:26, Peasgood said:

No frost in the 16 day forecast, no reason to think there’s going to be a Blackthorn winter this year.

It can’t happen every year or they would never fruit.

We have just had 3 days of 12-14 degrees C in the day and minus 2 at night . Sharp frost this morning but shirt sleeves in the day . Black thorn , Haw thorn and Magnolia in full flower .  West Sussex , South Downs National Park .

On 26/03/2019 at 19:36, Stubby said:

We have just had 3 days of 12-14 degrees C in the day and minus 2 at night . Sharp frost this morning but shirt sleeves in the day . Black thorn , Haw thorn and Magnolia in full flower .  West Sussex , South Downs National Park .

Had a good ground frost yesterday morning but air temp was only down to 0°C. Those temps are only that low just at daybreak.

Same as you in the day, glorious weather.

Put your order in now if you want to secure a sloe supply from me. :D