572 husky or 500i stihl

arbormonkey

Not so much shit about it, same happened when some ingenious folks took the engine out of a Makita con saw and put it in a chain saw, it too ran at about  10k when in wood, of course harder woods pulled it a little where softer ones not so much, lets hope some one did not copy someones homework, that Makita was fuel injected too, hmmm.

But I think that if this 10k thing was the case it is not so anymore, at least not in any online video I have seen comaring the 500i and the 572, the Stihl seems a tad faster, but no one used the same chains and that there is all it would take to make the difference I see. Durabillity of the Stihl would concern me until proven otherwise, the Husqvarna problems were mainly hot starts and heat resulting in top end trouble, Stihl had more lower end trouble, so I would take the 572 for me, even the 462 is supposed to cut with the 500i so why pay more money for fuel injection when the MT has been doing a rather good job.

53 minutes ago, The avantgardener said:

The 572 is a fantastic all rounder, built well, probably the best stock saw that I have used.

Out of everyone I know who has used a 500i, rough hewn is the only person to make this statement about revs dropping, that was his experience.

If the 462 is anything to go by it will have stunning performance, It may also have the pretty poor build quality.

Build quality would be my concern until proven otherwise, it cuts great though, but no greater than a 462, so why pay the premium for almost identical results.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 18/03/2019 at 20:50, Echo said:

Not so much shit about it, same happened when some ingenious folks took the engine out of a Makita con saw and put it in a chain saw, it too ran at about  10k when in wood, of course harder woods pulled it a little where softer ones not so much, lets hope some one did not copy someones homework, that Makita was fuel injected too, hmmm.

The 500i engine was trialled in concrete saws before it was used in a chainsaw. Chatting to one of the lads in HB`s the other day about the 500i, he reckons they have sold quite a few and there have been no reliability issues, being ex job he still gets to use one on occasion and reckons they are a very nice saw. Anyone here ran one long enough to pass comment ?

Bob

• Like 1

My 572 has been faultless from the get-go & I've been ranting with it daily. No hot start problems at all on the revised version. Nicely balanced with a Sugihara on board as well,, but good on stock also. Can't concur about the rev-bogging of the 500i, brief was my go with it one afternoon, nothing outstanding in difference worth noting between that & the 572 except the Stihl didn't feel as balanced to me under load or in the hand...but that's arguably down to 'the tools yer used to' factors

• Like 1

Revs will drop in the cut, it is inevitable as the saw will be under load that is dictated by the bar length, kerf, pitch cutter type, sharpness and the pressure exerted on the saw etc.

The revs will drop to near where the power band is and tend to hold there unless you take off a bit of downward pressure.

Obviously, if you fit a short bar on a big machine or modify the saw, the relationship changes a fair bit.

Most saws seem to make full power at around 9500rpm as listed in the saws specs.

• Like 1

I have a 462 and its coming up to a year in June in the woods, i was asked recently by a dealer if i wanted a 500i? my response was for them to tally up how much the 462 has cost me in spares. I have had 2 chain brake handles, 3 shroud covers, rear handle cover and recently bent the front handle!! 

If you want a 70+cc  saw that will last and is not made from cheap plastic and a front handle made from tin foil( it is ridiculously light/ thin) then try any other brand!!