Lime timber for milling

Alex21

5 minutes ago, Alex21 said:

Just wondering what lime timber is like for milling? 

Boring and largely worthless. 

Creamy white, minimal figure and tough to sell. It will shift eventually, but it take ages and you'll not make much on it. 

Best to pass and save your efforts for something more marketable.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Big J said:

Creamy white, minimal figure and tough to sell. It will shift eventually, but it take ages and you'll not make much on it. 

Which are the most marketable J?

Been deliberating over a mill purchase for some time but not sure that the species mix in the Wood would warrant one.

11 minutes ago, Big J said:

dont even make good firewood,,,,, timbers i try to keep clear of are Lime, willow, popular and Horse chestnut all very time consuming and boring,

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alex21 said:

Good evening 

Just wondering what lime timber is like for milling? 

If it's any good what size is best and what's a rough price for road side lengths? 

Thank you in advance

I operate one of the few sawmills that actively buys Lime for milling.  We are only small but need at least a couple of lorry loads per year.

I pay around £70 per cubic metre.  Needs to be fairly local to me of course (south east wales) with good access.

Found it an interesting one , easy to mill and very light when dry... gonna make sliding doors out of these ...it didn’t like sitting out though after milling and I quite regret leaving it for a few months before bringing it in but test sanded a bit and it came up alright. IMG_8586.jpgIMG_8584.jpg

12 hours ago, Squaredy said:

I operate one of the few sawmills that actively buys Lime for milling.  We are only small but need at least a couple of lorry loads per year.

I pay around £70 per cubic metre.  Needs to be fairly local to me of course (south east wales) with good access.

Whats it used for?