entry level milling set up capabilities

mitchel

I was in the same situation as you last year so Ive spent a lot of time researching whats out there. From speaking with other members here and elsewhere the general consensus seems to be buy as big as you can afford. You may not need the size now but you will regret it later. Another consideration to keep in mind is second hand Mills lose very little value.

When you talk about entry level you'll have to let us know what minimums you require then you can build from there. Length is an easy one. Most manufacturers of Mills are a set length for each manufacturer and you buy add on sections as per your requirement. 

Another consideration is how you plan on powering your Mill. Electric or Petrol/Diesel. 

Yet another consideration is if you intend on buying a Trailer Package for it.

There are a few brands to spend time investigating;

Woodmizer,

Norwood,

Woodland Mills,

Logosol,

Trak-Met,

Theres others but cant think of them off the top of my head. If I was you and was looking for an all-rounder Id go for the Woodland Mills HM126. Maybe start there? 

8 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

I was in the same situation as you last year so Ive spent a lot of time researching whats out there. From speaking with other members here and elsewhere the general consensus seems to be buy as big as you can afford. You may not need the size now but you will regret it later. Another consideration to keep in mind is second hand Mills lose very little value.

When you talk about entry level you'll have to let us know what minimums you require then you can build from there. Length is an easy one. Most manufacturers of Mills are a set length for each manufacturer and you buy add on sections as per your requirement. 

Another consideration is how you plan on powering your Mill. Electric or Petrol/Diesel. 

Yet another consideration is if you intend on buying a Trailer Package for it.

There are a few brands to spend time investigating;

Woodmizer,

Norwood,

Woodland Mills,

Logosol,

Trak-Met,

Theres others but cant think of them off the top of my head. If I was you and was looking for an all-rounder Id go for the Woodland Mills HM126. Maybe start there? 

5 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

How entry level?
Plywood Alaskan mill?
Or bandsaw?
Quite a bit in between.
emoji106.png

to be honest was thinking more of the mobile mill type where its a frame and chainsaw with some type of winch set up?

6 hours ago, mitchel said:

to be honest was thinking more of the mobile mill type where its a frame and chainsaw with some type of winch set up?

Ah ok, I was way off then. :D

Well again, you'll need to let us know the dimensions of what you plan on Milling. If you plan on getting a 36" Chinese copy Alaskan then in my opinion you should look to get a Stihl 066/660 or the Husky equivalent. I bought a used 064 for around £300 and it works great with the smaller 36" Mill. 

So say £300 for a used saw thats up to the job. £120 for a Chinese Mill. £180 for a Lo-Pro Bar and a couple of Chains. You'll need a Ladder for the first cut (or a first cut system) A Battery Drill, a cheap Winch. So to get going you'll be about £600-700. 

If you plan on getting a 48" Mill then, again in my opinion, you'll be looking for a bigger saw. I bought a used 088. 

So; £500-£1000 for a Saw. £120 for a Chinese Mill. Not up to speed on what a 48" Bar costs now and a couple of Chains at around £60-70 each. 

If you want to Mill smaller than this then I guess its cheaper yet. Or look at getting a Logosol M7, M8 or the fancy new F2. 

• Like 1