Climbing under supervision

TommyW

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Climb trees and perform arerial rescue used to be a pre-requisite for CS39. Regardless, I wouldn't let an inexperienced climber use a saw in the tree if they couldn't rescue a)themselves or b) someone else. 
Is there a need for seperate aerial rescue if two climbers are in the tree?

I would say that common sense should prevail. If there is a climber in the tree with another climber up there all kitted up, then I'd say that would be fine. It would very much depend on the climber though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tommy_B said:

I would say that common sense should prevail. If there is a climber in the tree with another climber up there all kitted up, then I'd say that would be fine. It would very much depend on the climber though.

Ideally documented on the 'emergency arrangements' section of the site risk assessment but "yes"...HSE have previously acknowledged the same.

Paul

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stihlmadasever said:

But its not and it isnt.

How can 2 climbers,1 trainee

1 experienced be interpreted as 3?

2 or maybe even 4 i could see

but 3??

I found it ambiguous when I read it, I was not sure if you meant:

2 climbers and 1 trainee, one of the climbers is experienced

or as you seem to have intended:

1 experienced climber and 1 trainee climber.

I only mentioned it as it makes a difference to the OP. A trainee is allowed to climb with supervision of the experienced climber, but if you send out a two man team to a job them the experienced climber is going to be restricted to ground work as the trainee does not have the ability to rescue. 

29 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

I only mentioned it as it makes a difference to the OP. A trainee is allowed to climb with supervision of the experienced climber, but if you send out a two man team to a job them the experienced climber is going to be restricted to ground work as the trainee does not have the ability to rescue. 

Train them in rescue. Even non climbers should have a vague idea how to get a body down from a tree.

Edited by Mark J

1 hour ago, benedmonds said:

No decent arb firm would send a climber out with no trained rescuer.

Thats not too say it doesnt happen.

Just ask any subbies you know.

I done a rigging job with 1 groundie who had 3 days experience no kind of training,not even used a chainsaw.

The next time i used that firm i brought in my own groundie who was at that point almost 50 and could run the ground work on his own easy.

Anyone doing this should bear in mind the legal aspects of having an unqualified person using a chainsaw from a rope and harness, IF something went wrong HSE would be looking for reasons why it was happening, if it was ‘to gain experience ‘ would a working site be seen as suitable environment,  does the trainee hold any relevant quali's - having CS39 will not cover the training of someone with no quail's, was the MAXIMUM ppe  and /or safest equipment used and many other things......

but if nothing goes wrong then no one will know ?

On 20/03/2019 at 18:50, Mark J said:

Train them in rescue. Even non climbers should have a vague idea how to get a body down from a tree.

that sounds risky to me, a non climber with a vague idea sound like they could get themselves in a pickle or worse.

best to have two competent climbers really.