What saws you got ?

stihlmadasever

I always found it a trifle ironic, that we in Western/European culture, quite naturally and instinctively, pull a handsaw to start an accurate cut, but then insist in push-cutting to cut.

I can only presume the human musculature can generate more power pushing, hence the development of our push cutting saws.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, harvey b davison said:
13 hours ago, se7enthdevil said:
i got these.

s-l1600.jpg

image.jpeg.436c79ce314872838cbafc86800df9b6.jpeg

8872712273950.jpg

i may only be a joiner/woodturner but they come in useful.

Read more  

Steve, do you have one of those Japanese style push/pull fine saws. I'm contemplating getting one, but not got a clue about them. Just from what I have read they are supposed to be great for fine cuts.

no i do not.

i never found a need for one.

3 hours ago, difflock said:

I always found it a trifle ironic, that we in Western/European culture, quite naturally and instinctively, pull a handsaw to start an accurate cut, but then insist in push-cutting to cut.

I can only presume the human musculature can generate more power pushing, hence the development of our push cutting saws.

Oriental carpentry is always on the pull, dunno why occidentals like a push cut :/ k

• Like 1

572, 576, 560x2 and 550 for daily use (cutting firewood and a bit of felling). A top handle oleo Mac (I'll probably be told off for having one on the ground ;)) and a load of oleo mac saws in pieces and on a drill because they uses to be our go to saws.

A couple of eighties stihls somewhere as well. 

The living ones:

880 mainly milling now, couple of stems a year

660 go-to big saw

462 used daily

461 gathers dust now the 462's here

460, rebuilt after a smash, as new, garage shelf ornament as the 461 took over

61 rancher, first "big" saw gathers dust

560 money pit, would be used daily if it didn't have the reliability of a land rover

261 used daily

023 first saw, sat next to the 61 now

201tcm used daily

200t backup topper

020t ported 

338xpt, new, never used, gathers dust

192t pointless saw

150t x2 used daily when pruning 

Tempted to try a 50-60cc Echo next

• Like 1

On 17/03/2019 at 22:43, outinthewood said:

Someone said earlier "he with the most toys wins " I don't have the most but I have a few - 394,385,390,562 x2 375 x2 372,288 all well ported 562,560,550,346,572 that's the work saws then 6x Contra's 1x Contra "S" 3x 070 2x 090, 1x 090 "G" then around 30 other Stihl's and Jonsered's and a odd Homelite and Pioneer. Yes I like saws !!

You still over in Enniskerry? I'm parked across the way in Bray for a bit now.