When do you really upgrade your chipper?

GTS

Have not modern tractors rendered Unimogs a trifle unnecessary?

Especially with the easy availability of front links and PTO's on "ordinary" tractors.

Never mind modern tyre technology allowing for high road speeds and phenomonal flotation/traction once off road.

Plus the proponderance of CVT or Fendt type transmissions.

Aside from the non-HGV steering issue, but I suspect this is currently a bit of a moot point, since hydraulics are now so reliable?, especially if subject to regular checks on the hoses.

years ago working employed for a firm I drove the mog for 3 yrs doing all domestic work ..i hated it ...short wheel base ..didnt hold a lot of chip nowhere to put your kit when full ...stating it up ..waiting for the air to build just for a quick chip up ...so happy when I got a truck and chipper again

• Like 1

2 hours ago, essential said:

years ago working employed for a firm I drove the mog for 3 yrs doing all domestic work ..i hated it ...short wheel base ..didnt hold a lot of chip nowhere to put your kit when full ...stating it up ..waiting for the air to build just for a quick chip up ...so happy when I got a truck and chipper again

Sounds like it’s was a poorly put together set up.

A couple of seals,  valves, new air hoses and a tool box would of made life easier.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Coletti said:
On 17/03/2019 at 17:50, GTS said:
Thank you very much for all of your help and considerations/ advice. The direction is a great help to me.
Capacity or maxed out capacity  in the system is I suppose what I’ve been grappling with. 
The mog/ chipper combo needs some proper time,thought and costing out, will try Atkinson vos. 
Failing this, then a larger tow behind still seems to be the big gain for smaller outlay if I can’t get decent money for the LANDY tipper.

Read more  

Just be aware that using a mog on ag spec (no tax, mot and red diesel) for arboricultural works is illegal and although I know a lot do (in an ideal world I would) if you are stopper for whatever reason you could find your self in more trouble than it's worth

Would you show evidence and cases of prosecution to back this up please.

I have none but the information is there for all to read. Ag spec can only be used for agriculture and forestry, neither of which are domestic or commercial arboriculture. If you don't believe me then have a quick Google and you'll soon see. There is no grey area. Just because I can't provide proof of prosecution doesn't mean it isn't illegal
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, difflock said:

Especially with the easy availability of front links and PTO's on "ordinary" tractors.

Never mind modern tyre technology allowing for high road speeds and phenomonal flotation/traction once off road.

Aside from the non-HGV steering issue, but I suspect this is currently a bit of a moot point, since hydraulics are now so reliable?, especially if subject to regular checks on the hoses.

Yeah...... But... It's a Unimog an you don't get mistaken fr  a farmer! Arrrrrrrgh! K

Edited by Khriss
Get off my laaand!

1 hour ago, Coletti said:
2 hours ago, Stephen Blair said:

I have none but the information is there for all to read. Ag spec can only be used for agriculture and forestry, neither of which are domestic or commercial arboriculture. If you don't believe me then have a quick Google and you'll soon see. There is no grey area. Just because I can't provide proof of prosecution doesn't mean it isn't illegal

I never said I don’t believe you or mentioned grey areas, I asked for evidence which you can not provide.

8 hours ago, difflock said:

I’ve had tractors with air suspension, could do over 40 mph and had the front pto etc you talk of.  Trouble was to get. 3 man team, pto chipper and chip bin on site, I’d need a 50’ tractor set up and a vehicle for the other 2 workers.

And the guy driving the tractor would be fed up bouncing his way to jobs.

3 guys in a mog usually have a laugh, because driving a Tonka truck around gives a certain presence on the rd, it is comfortable and the whole single rigid unit is shorter than a transit and small tow behind, and you can overtake folk doodling along at 45mph.

• Like 3