When do you really upgrade your chipper?

GTS

5 hours ago, essential said:

years ago working employed for a firm I drove the mog for 3 yrs doing all domestic work ..i hated it ...short wheel base ..didnt hold a lot of chip nowhere to put your kit when full ...stating it up ..waiting for the air to build just for a quick chip up ...so happy when I got a truck and chipper again

sounds familiar! i think due to their high price people often go for an older one which may be ok but i think there is a danger of it being near the end of its usefull life which can lead to big bills on a regular basis.

carl

• Like 2

I never said I don’t believe you or mentioned grey areas, I asked for evidence which you can not provide.
I never said I knew of cases where someone had been stopped and prosecuted. All I said was that it's illegal and as far as I can tell...you dont need to see evidence for that as you are fully aware of this but happy to suffer the consequences in the event that you are stopped.

27 minutes ago, Stephen Blair said:

Just maybe the laws are not grey, some people understand them and work within them.  Others have fairy tail fears of what ifs and maybes.

I’d say it’s really not that grey just like moving Plant Machinery with Tractors, it’s just the rewards still far outweigh the risks.

Big money to be made with a Mog for guys on the large Highway Clearances etc.

I’d assume the same on Domestic work with the right setup.

Lets face it, put some white diesel in it and blag the rest.

As one guy who recently rang me to help spec him an Excavator for site clearance said, “I’m going to pull it behind my Mog”. I replied “I wouldn’t like to get into all that Haulage paperwork hassle”, his response was “forget all that just tell them you’re going ditching or whatever I’ll run it off the Farm anyway.”

It’s just how the job is, no point getting excited about it, someone will always be bending the rules, how many going on about it will have the correct Tacho setup for towing their Ifor Trailer, or a Transit with Chip body and 5 leaf springs so it’s level when totally overloaded?

Not saying it’s right, but many who get excited about such things will still hire in such solutions for the saving and extra profit.

Eddie.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Stephen Blair said:

Just maybe the laws are not grey, some people understand them and work outside them.  Others have fairy tail fears of what ifs and maybes.

Sorted!

Eddies post is spot on imo.

We’ve certainly made a lot of progress from upgrading a GM130 to mogs and tractors!

Totally depends what your typical work is (or what you want it to be).

3 hours ago, Craig Johnson said:

i know a farmer in leeds who got a massive back dated VAT bill for using a Mog for hauling a 360 around and moving spoil, which in principle is similar 

Ah but we would be  just moving woodchip for farm animal bedding ?

• Like 2

• 10 months later...