When do you really upgrade your chipper?

GTS

Thank you very much for all of your help and considerations/ advice. The direction is a great help to me.

Capacity or maxed out capacity  in the system is I suppose what I’ve been grappling with. 

The mog/ chipper combo needs some proper time,thought and costing out, will try Atkinson vos. 

Failing this, then a larger tow behind still seems to be the big gain for smaller outlay if I can’t get decent money for the LANDY tipper.

20 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I don’t think Steve was actually suggesting that the op should get a mog etc. just illustrating the advantages of upgrading machinery and some of the thought processes in choosing your next step.

Nope i know what you mean and your right i just know a couple of lads who were tempted by Mogs then ended up outta pocket ?

• Like 2

What ever you have is not enough, started with an old Mazda pickup truck and no chipper, bought an old Timberwolf chipper. Up graded the truck to an Isuzu 3.5 tonne tipper and then the Timberwolf to a green mech quad chip. Bought a unimog then swapped it for a tractor. Then Bought a Unimog with a 10 inch Schlesing chipper. And a tractor with a grain trailer to mover chip and timber. Wanted a bigger chipper so bought a 12” Jensen crane fed machine. Wanted  a bigger chipper than the 12” so bought a 18” heizohack. Bought another tractor so I could haul more chip in a bigger grain trailer. Now on bigger jobs we haul chip in grain trailers behind the mog and one of the tractors. 

Somewhere along the way I also had a landy tipper, a bandit chipper, a tracked jenson and a pto 10” tp chipper

im now in negotiations for a bigger tractor with more road speed and higher hp

as I said whatever you get is rarely enough once you get going 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, GTS said:

Thank you very much for all of your help and considerations/ advice. The direction is a great help to me.

Capacity or maxed out capacity  in the system is I suppose what I’ve been grappling with. 

The mog/ chipper combo needs some proper time,thought and costing out, will try Atkinson vos. 

Failing this, then a larger tow behind still seems to be the big gain for smaller outlay if I can’t get decent money for the LANDY tipper.

I always bought privately and dealt with AC Price engineering.

If you go looking for mogs, take a good lorry mechanic with you and don’t be dazzled by chrome exhausts and bright thick paint.

• Like 4

Just be aware that using a mog on ag spec (no tax, mot and red diesel) for arboricultural works is illegal and although I know a lot do (in an ideal world I would) if you are stopper for whatever reason you could find your self in more trouble than it's worth
  • Like 1

id say that if your considering getting a mog ,make sure  you really need their heavy duty capacity in moving logs and chip, as running costs can be high.

also check out if you have a siutable local mechanic with a knowledge of these type of vehicles.

also very slow getting from job to job over longer distances.

carl.