Sugi hara bar

eddystihl

7 minutes ago, eddystihl said:

Square filling i saw it the files explain please have only used the round

Square filling is for full chisel and makes for an even faster cutting chain than full chisel round ground . There is a knack to it . You file from the out side of the cutter rather than the inside as with all other chains . I found the best way is to buy a square ground chain and then " fit the faces of the file to it and practice like that . 

• Like 1

Square filling is for full chisel and makes for an even faster cutting chain than full chisel round ground . There is a knack to it . You file from the out side of the cutter rather than the inside as with all other chains . I found the best way is to buy a square ground chain and then " fit the faces of the file to it and practice like that . 

Difficult too understand for a dutch guy :)
But you know everything Stuby [emoji106]
Will try too find on you tube.
Thx Stub

40 minutes ago, eddystihl said:

Square filling i saw it the files explain please have only used the round

http://www.madsens1.com/bnc_filing_cb.htm

There are MANY guides on the internet, how to square file, Also lots of videos on Youtube. 

Thats how i tought myself.

It's mostly done in North america.

It's NOT easy !  I only do it in my workshop, with the bar in a height adjustable vice. It takes me 10-15 minutes to sharpen a 20" - 24" chain ? Vs. 5 minutes with round file.

When im out in the forest, i always have 2 or 3 freshly sharpenend spare chains(and 2 "normal" round filed chains ?)   

Square filed chains easely cuts 15 % faster, Maybe even 20 %, but the wood must be very clean, as it loosens it's sharpness very easy in dirty conditions.

Start with a 15" or 18"  chain, and do it "just for the fun" or the challenge of it.

It is'nt something i wanna do all my cutting with, especially not in dirty wood,  But with clean wood and when fast, if not to say VERY fast cutting is desirable, square filing is hard to ignore. It's like having a 20 cc larger saw and with a bigger rim.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wyk said:

Where I thought square filing did best was limbing trees PNW style. The branches just lept from the trunks. Bucking was also easier.

There was some grunt on the old " thin clip " 394 saws . Had a couple in my time . Ever cut through your Spencer tape ? ?

• Like 1

Most of what I cut was second growth in Oregon and Washington states. BC still has some old growth, so you'll see a lot more folks up there carrying a 394 or 660/661 with a 36" bar. I assume the ones in the vids using 288's are putting us on. It's a pain to restart that thing all day long in the field(even though I now use one for firewood). A 390 or 385xp is a better choice. I mainly used an 046 or 385xp with a 28 or 32" bar wearing square chain. The local saw service in Willamina, OR would do 6 chains sharpened for 25 bucks at the time if you did the rakers yourself. I rarely went through 4 in a day cutting clean wood. I tried sharpening it by hand, but I was never happy with the results. If I had to resharpen myself I would often just grind it down to round with a Oregon battery grinder. I was, and am, mostly shit at hand sharpening with square files.

ETA - Never cut thru the tape,  but I prolly have pulled at least two dozen nails from the end of it. Very frustrating.

133818921.KNRNP1V8.IMG_0131.JPG

Edited by wyk
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

I use oregon and stihl bars as I cut a lot of wind blown trees and get a few nips so not willing to risk an expensive sugi bar. (Before you ask I'm Scottish).

I've tried to square file a full chisel chain, it was great in clean wood out of the box and totally knackered after I had been at it, and i took a fair bit of skin off my fingers too, I'm just going to stick with standard round filing. I watched the videos and still couldn't get the angles right doing it free hand and ended up with a chain that could cut round corners !!