Field maple

gobbypunk

Most definitely! If it's been down for quite a while you'll probably find it's gone an oatmeal colour rather than the very pale colour if cut fresh and dried quickly. But for what it's worth in my opinion it's worth having a look.

Wouldn't worry about the grub holes myself. Ti's all character!!!

I've a substantial lump awaiting milling in the yard. But being almost 40 inch across it's too big for my saws so am still scratching my head over best way to go about it. However, I've already slabbed up most of the head wood – which brought a big smile to my face.

If I've got this tech bit right, there should be attached a few pics of a small lump of it and a knife handle I've used it on. Should give you an idea of what it can look like.

Be sure to post a few pics. Would be interested to see what it's like inside.

field maple burr 2.jpg

field maple burr.jpg

fm knife.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Badgerland said:

Most definitely! If it's been down for quite a while you'll probably find it's gone an oatmeal colour rather than the very pale colour if cut fresh and dried quickly. But for what it's worth in my opinion it's worth having a look.

Wouldn't worry about the grub holes myself. Ti's all character!!!

I've a substantial lump awaiting milling in the yard. But being almost 40 inch across it's too big for my saws so am still scratching my head over best way to go about it. However, I've already slabbed up most of the head wood – which brought a big smile to my face.

If I've got this tech bit right, there should be attached a few pics of a small lump of it and a knife handle I've used it on. Should give you an idea of what it can look like.

Be sure to post a few pics. Would be interested to see what it's like inside.

field maple burr 2.jpg

field maple burr.jpg

fm knife.jpg

Would getting someone in to mill it for you be an option? On basis of splitting the milled product? Thats what I did with that last Elm I did in the pictures. half a days work and three free slabs. :D 

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

Would getting someone in to mill it for you be an option? On basis of splitting the milled product? Thats what I did with that last Elm I did in the pictures. half a days work and three free slabs. :D 

Yeah, getting somebody in may well be the way to go. It's such a stunning piece of wood that for now I'd rather pay to get it milled and keep all the timber though. I may well sell it on later, but for now I'd prefer to keep my options open.

I considered buying a 48 inch alaskan to do it myself, but by the time I buy a lo-pro bar and chain for my 661 it's starting to all mount up. Especially as I probably wouldn't ever use the combo again. The other option would be to quarter it and then slab it on my logosol farmers mill.

The down side is that there's couple of strands of very rusty barbed wire through the side of the lower section. (Considering the age of the tree and the state of the wire on the outside I'd say there's a pretty good chance the wire has practically rotted on the inside but ...) With careful aligning I think it might be possible to miss it but it would be a risk. Personally I'd be willing to risk it myself as it's such a unique stick. The entire tree including the roots (which I dug out) were a mass of burr.

The head scratching continues...

• Like 1