What was the best ever stove you have/had?

I have a Charnwood 16b, which heats up the water and 5 rads, well made stove.

Just bought an additional Flavel stove mmmm appears to me to have a design flaw, there is a distinct ledge at the bottom of the glass on the inside, the ash gathers on this so as soon as you open the door to top up the wood the pile of ash falls out and due to the swing of the door about 2/3rds go onto the hearth and about 1/3rd onto the carpet, very annoying.

Got in touch with installer, he came out, showed him and he agreed that the design is flawed, think I am getting a visit from the manufacturer next.

• Like 1

Just back from a short break in the Cotswolds and a lovely cottage in stow that looked freshly done up. It had a couple of stoves that looked nice enough from the outside and being me, a keen stovist, I had to have a quick look inside.  I didn't see a brand name but they felt cheap, the doors felt very light and flimsy. My guess is they won't last. My own 2 stoves are only in the £650 ish price range (a Stovax and Franco belge) but seeing or feeling these cheaper ones reaffirmed my thoughts that it's worth spending a little more.  I'm not sure if you need to spend £650, or £450, but there are definitely still stoves that are 'too cheap' about.

Hi all there’s Little point in buying a cheap stove because what will happen you will end up hurting more wood as there is very little control on a cheap stove and they’re not very efficient thanks I have euro heat 16kw and also resolute acclaim are absolutely brilliant it’s all down to what you’re prepared to pay to how good a stove actually is thanks John
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/08/2019 at 10:04, BowlandStoves said:

How did the anthracite beans burn? Did you get a lot of heat off them?

Yes , lots of heat . Not much flame I recall but a deep glow that lasted and lasted . Hopper was just about empty when I came back from work but still the bed was alight . Just pour some more beans in open the air for a bit and shazam ! ?

Edited by Stubby

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/08/2019 at 09:23, Commando said:

Heard from an installer that Clearview stoves don’t meet current regs!? Is that right and if so are they still highly rated against say a Woodwarm equivalent?

Where did you hear this from? I have not heard it.

Is the installer not referring to ecodesign regs which go live in 2022? How could they sell stoves today if they didnt meet current regs?

On 03/08/2019 at 19:06, Stubby said:

Yes , lots of heat . Not much flame I recall but a deep glow that lasted and lasted . Hopper was just about empty when I came back from work but still the bed was alight . Just pour some more beans in open the air for a bit and shazam ! ?

Is the flame not a big part of the stove experience? However, if I was getting good value for money off the anthracite I dont think the lack of flame would bother me too much ;)