What was the best ever stove you have/had?

I would have thought it would act as an insulator, certainly the colour will reduce the amount of radiated energy (matt black is best and polished metal the worst at a given temperature).  This might be a good thing as it will raise the fire temp but would be concerned about getting heat out into the room.

Our house has block partition walls and internal walls so thermal mass is not a problem.  I think I would prefer to put some thermal mass near a black stove rather than wrapping it if that was the attraction.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2019 at 14:43, BowlandStoves said:

Does anyone have strong opinions either way on soapstone covered stoves?

Soapstone.jpg.77dab2d9ebc6fcbca3d5e05a3642f24a.jpg

Very Scandinavian. Seen them a lot in Norway. I guess if you go for the Scandi look then it fits, if not  then no. I had a Jøtul F373 in my house in Norway. Cracking Stove. For a 5kw you fed it what seemed like three times a night but had to lounge around in your pants. :D 

On 30/03/2019 at 13:12, trigger_andy said:

Very Scandinavian. Seen them a lot in Norway. I guess if you go for the Scandi look then it fits, if not  then no. I had a Jøtul F373 in my house in Norway. Cracking Stove. For a 5kw you fed it what seemed like three times a night but had to lounge around in your pants. :D 

"lounge around in your pants" lol

My best stove I've ever had was a Villager that I found in a skip. I was driving past a big house in the village that was having some work done and noticed the builders chucking it in! I turned around sharpish and asked them if I could have it... It was a great little burner with a nice opening and seemed to be quite controllable. I moved house and now have a Clearview and I don't think its as good really...

Villager.thumb.JPG.d10eddff4bfe88e1b482d971412f8fc8.JPG

Edited by Nipper O

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just back from a short break in the Cotswolds and a lovely cottage in stow that looked freshly done up. It had a couple of stoves that looked nice enough from the outside and being me, a keen stovist, I had to have a quick look inside.  I didn't see a brand name but they felt cheap, the doors felt very light and flimsy. My guess is they won't last. My own 2 stoves are only in the £650 ish price range (a Stovax and Franco belge) but seeing or feeling these cheaper ones reaffirmed my thoughts that it's worth spending a little more.  I'm not sure if you need to spend £650, or £450, but there are definitely still stoves that are 'too cheap' about.