Do these trees need to come down?

wildfisherman

5 hours ago, benedmonds said:

DO NOT do this..  The reduction on the smaller one would tolerate it, but the bigger one like that is WAY to hard.. 

Personally I don't think reducing is worthwhile.   Plant another 2 in front and fell in 10 years time when the new ones are established..  

+ 1 for this , if you take large limbs off Birch, particularly mature and this species they'll rot real quick up here,  there's a lot like that near me and they seldom get blown down, they'll often to lose a branch rather than being blown over...they tend to tear often leaving the limb hanging......nice trees but it's your shout,

Must be creating a lot of shade when in leaf... are you facing west and they're stealing your sunset?

• Like 1

The house is North facing so they don't interfere with the sun. They do, however, make quite a mess with their pollen, then seeds, then leaves.

Many thanks to everyone for all your replies.

What I take from all this is that they are probably not too great a threat to the house, but there's not much I can do to them anyway. Much talk of leaving them for 10 years, no-one saying 'Get them down now!'

I doubt I'll replant, partly because I don't want to clutter up the open space in front of the house, partly because of my age - I won't be around to see them reach any great size!

It's all food for thought. Thanks again to everyone.

Edited by wildfisherman
surplus word