What to do with a broken 346xp?

MikePepler

8 hours ago, openspaceman said:

What's the difference between a brushless and a digital brushless motor?

As far as I'm aware, 'digital motor' is a marketing term invented by Dyson. All brushless motors are electronically controlled. There's a good explanation here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushless_DC_electric_motor

On the other points, unless a motor uses superconducters (which require liquid nitrogen cooling) then they will never be 100% efficient, and the losses will be through heat due to resistance in the windings. When I'm not in the woods my day job is in renewable energy, and I previously worked in electronic engineering, so I do have some experience in this. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MikePepler said:

As far as I'm aware, 'digital motor' is a marketing term invented by Dyson. All brushless motors are electronically controlled. There's a good explanation here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushless_DC_electric_motor

On the other points, unless a motor uses superconducters (which require liquid nitrogen cooling) then they will never be 100% efficient, and the losses will be through heat due to resistance in the windings. When I'm not in the woods my day job is in renewable energy, and I previously worked in electronic engineering, so I do have some experience in this. 

Digital motors have no windings they use magnets so removing the heating element, they are generators in reverse if they are spun without power they create electricity, the best are single phase running as three phase. They do however require a board to run simply wiring up to the current won’t work they just stay still.

Edited by dumper
Grammar

23 minutes ago, dumper said:

Digital motors have no windings they use magnets so removing the heating element, they are generators in reverse if they are spun without power they create electricity, the best are single phase running as three phase. They do however require a board to run simply wiring up to the current won’t work they just stay still.

Sorry, all motors have windings (or coils). It's the flow of current through these that generates the fluctuating magnetic fields that 'push' against the fixed fields of the permanent magnets in a brushless motor. The electronics are to sense the rotor position, back emf, etc. and switch the current in the windings to make the rotor spin. 

If you're sure you've found something different, please post a link to some technical details. Just saying it exists isn't enough I'm afraid. 

Edited by MikePepler
Correction
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, MikePepler said:

When I'm not in the woods my day job is in renewable energy, and I previously worked in electronic engineering, so I do have some experience in this. 

Great

Perhaps one day we can have a separate discussion about personal renewable energy on another thread?