What to do with a broken 346xp?

MikePepler

It’s not batteries but motors that are the problem various companies have tied up ultra efficient motors with patients and are sitting on these until the completion and the Chinese try to catch up,  saw a video last week of a motor moving a 800kg load with only one moving part.no brushes, no bearings.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, peatff said:

So you can look at the battery as a very expensive fuel can that takes a long time to fill with fuel which is cheap but not available everywhere. Depending on the charger it can take between 45 minutes and 3 hours to charge to 100% so you need the AL300 charger at £60 as well so for 2 batteries and a charger you are in for about £300 plus the saw which is "equivalent to a 30cc saw" it's not sounding very tempting yet.

Depends on the value you put on not breathing in carbon monoxide, particulates and unburned petrol ? But I agree, there is still some way to go before battery saws can do all the jobs required.

13 minutes ago, dumper said:

It’s not batteries but motors that are the problem various companies have tied up ultra efficient motors with patients and are sitting on these until the completion and the Chinese try to catch up,  saw a video last week of a motor moving a 800kg load with only one moving part.no brushes, no bearings.

You need a better battery too, to provide the capacity for a more powerful motor.

5 minutes ago, dumper said:

No you need to use the power in the batteries better the lithium iron batteries are good

Well, brushless DC motors are already 80-90% efficient, so while there's some room for improvement you're still going to need better batteries (in terms of kWh capacity, discharge current, weight, and volume) to get more kW of power delivered to the chain. But there's improvements every year, and I assume the manufacturers could put better cells into the existing battery casings so they'd be compatible with existing chainsaws. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikePepler said:

Well, brushless DC motors are already 80-90% efficient, so while there's some room for improvement you're still going to need better batteries (in terms of kWh capacity, discharge current, weight, and volume) to get more kW of power delivered to the chain. But there's improvements every year, and I assume the manufacturers could put better cells into the existing battery casings so they'd be compatible with existing chainsaws. 

The new generation are digital brushless a whole different motor

1 minute ago, dumper said:

The new generation are digital brushless a whole different motor

Sure, but if efficiency is already 90%, there's not much room left for improvement - you can never quite get to 100%, as some of power is always lost as heat in the motor windings. I'd expect the main improvements to be around making the motors smaller and lighter. 

I think we'll be waiting a while anyway, husqvarna have updated their saw already but it doesn't look much different... 

Just now, MikePepler said:

Sure, but if efficiency is already 90%, there's not much room left for improvement - you can never quite get to 100%, as some of power is always lost as heat in the motor windings. I'd expect the main improvements to be around making the motors smaller and lighter. 

I think we'll be waiting a while anyway, husqvarna have updated their saw already but it doesn't look much different... 

The new motors do not generate heat I picked up a motor that had been running hard for an hour wasn’t even warm. It’s money and politics stopping improvements

1 minute ago, dumper said:

The new motors do not generate heat I picked up a motor that had been running hard for an hour wasn’t even warm. It’s money and politics stopping improvements

OK, but even if that's the case, 100% efficient is still only 10% more than with current motors. Then after that you need more juice from the battery to get more power. 

1 minute ago, MikePepler said:

OK, but even if that's the case, 100% efficient is still only 10% more than with current motors. Then after that you need more juice from the battery to get more power. 

The motor I was looking at ran on any voltage 6 to 415v dc there are some interesting developments on the horizon your 90% efficient is very much a generalisation