Forst ST6 Rollers sticking open

Thesnarlingbadger

Hi all it’s been a week of it but I’m hoping this one is a simple fix.

While chipping today the rollers got stuck open. I’ve cleaned everything out as much as I can by locking them open with the bar and taking the springs off but every time something goes through they stick open and you have to open it all up again and use the bar to push them shut.

The bolts on the pivot point on were stiff as hell but I’ve managed to loosen one up but not the other.

The chipper is well greased and well maintained in general but there may be something wedged down the side between the roller and the side cheek.

My questions are has anybody else experienced this and if so what was the issue in the end and if I have to take the motor off and take the rollers out is it going to be much of a job? I can get in to the yard for 5 tomorrow which will give me a couple of hours to mess around with it.

Thanks as always.

Take the black bushing plate thing out of the top of the roller there’ll be some crap in there. We’ve had it for the last couple of weeks too.

Also check take the plate off under the bottom roller, if that’s full of stuff it drags more up the back. We leave ours out on brushy stuff now makes it much less if a problem.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, john meehan said:

Take the black bushing plate thing out of the top of the roller there’ll be some crap in there. We’ve had it for the last couple of weeks too.

Also check take the plate off under the bottom roller, if that’s full of stuff it drags more up the back. We leave ours out on brushy stuff now makes it much less if a problem.

Lot of peeps don’t know about that little bottom plate (including me for a year or so) good tip.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has always happened regularly with my TR6.

We just open the rollers with the bar and a strong arm, jam it open with a bit of 2 x 4 or similar,  couple of old screw drivers and five or ten mins scraping out the crap around the gap where you can see the roller shafts and you're ready to roll again.

I just realised this thread was still going. It was pampas grass caught between the sides of the rollers. Spent a good couple of hours faffing around and picking as much of it out as possible. Then after being a bit jammy after it seems to have sorted its self out though out the day.

Before I posted I checked all the usuals like the base plate and tried throwing some gnarly lumps through but in the end just a long time picking crap out was what was needed.

Thanks for the input people

14 hours ago, Thesnarlingbadger said:

I just realised this thread was still going. It was pampas grass caught between the sides of the rollers. Spent a good couple of hours faffing around and picking as much of it out as possible. Then after being a bit jammy after it seems to have sorted its self out though out the day.

Before I posted I checked all the usuals like the base plate and tried throwing some gnarly lumps through but in the end just a long time picking crap out was what was needed.

Thanks for the input people

Debris builds up over time between the sides of the rollers, so regular cleaning is a preventative measure.