small branch disposal South London

fcharlton

Any South London tree surgeons? I'm doing a job in this area next week (crown reduction of young oak 30-40ft in hight), and I expect to have a small load of small branches probably less than 10cm in diameter to dispose of. Probably only 3-4 cubic metres of branches - less if chipped. I suppose I'm wondering, do people bother trying to find a man with a van (and/or chipper) to collect this kind of stuff, or just call the local council and arrange a special garden waste collection? Am working for a friend so aiming to try and keep cost down if possible.

Thanks

IMG_20181103_125859975_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181103_125914630_HDR.jpg

I think 3-4 cubic metres of brash sounds optimistic if there are 10cm cuts. If it's for a friend then it's domestic waste so can be taken to a recycling centre but will be a lot of trips.

Cheapest is probably to hire a small chipper, take it in and spread the wood chip on the borders.

• Like 1

Thanks, I've been on phone to wandsworth council and some independent licensed waste contractors, and I think the latter will be cheapest. Everyone wants to see some pictures of the branches to be collected which is understandable. In the past I've done jobs in London where there were firewood sized logs and we had no difficulty selling these for a small sum on Facebook Marketplace. As I'm a farmer in another life, I am bringing down a load of woven plastic feed sacks for the smaller twigs etc. They are much better than even heavy duty black poly bags as they are really hard to puncture. Of course the ideal thing would be if there were a bunch of other tree surgeons with a chipper + tipper working nearby and I could persuade them to take the branches for some cash  - I'll keep my eyes and ears open!

Not sure you will find a pro willing to pay.  I get mostly softwood and some hardwood from a local pro for minimal cost.  He drops it at my place if he is passing at the end of a job.  Stuff that can not be processed easily does not seek to be worth much.  I.e. not long straight poles.

Edited by Rob_the_Sparky
Typos