Margaret Thatcher.

Mick Dempsey

Margaret Thatcher’s tenure, positive or negative for the UK  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Would you say that the overall effect of Margaret Thatcher as Prime Minister was positive or negative for the UK?

• Yes, overall it was positive.
    • No, overall it was negative.

5 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Was he ‘loaded’ when they married?

The milk thing is old hat, I’m old enough to have had school milk.

It was superfluous by the mid sixties.

Yea . It was the  3rd of a pint bottle in my day with a wax paper straw .

I grew up as a kid with power cuts, strikes, Arthur Scargill, British Leyland, Today/Eddy Shar and the winter of discontent. Times were rough with four day working weeks slipping in to three day weeks and big unemployment.

The Labour Government, to be brutally honest, didn't have a clue what to do as their paymasters, the unions, had them by the nads:S British Leyland, Norton, Villiers, Triumph consolidated in to NVT making shyte mopeds etc and our bins not emptied for weeks!

I started work in the early 80s and jobs were freely available, money was to be made and fortune favoured the brave. The tory government brought in PEPS, latterly hijacked buy Blair and called ISAs, a great idea allowing the unwashed British public to make a bit of tax free dosh by investing in UK companies although this has changed a bit now.

I can't say selling off council houses & lack of respect for UK production were good but I can say that in my own circumstances, I benefitted through those years and they set me up through hard work and opportunity. Shame Theresa May doesn't seem to have shaped up to have the same Kahoonas as Maggie.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Now listen 'ere oatcake boy, I've only just happened along and found this little teaser.  

Got my vote in and pulled it back to 50 / 50 on the poll which is good.  

Maybe as the evening draws out and the productive, creative, contributors to society get home and catch up that lead will pull even further away from the work-shy, stay at home dossers that spend all day online rather than doing something more constructive with their lives....

Hold that thought whilst I compile a more comprehensive set of reasons for celebrating the premiership of the great lady after I get back from the gym....

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Hold that thought whilst I compile a more comprehensive set of reasons for celebrating the premiership of the great lady.

Keep it.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, spudulike said:

I grew up as a kid with power cuts, strikes, Arthur Scargill, British Leyland, Today/Eddy Shar and the winter of discontent. Times were rough with four day working weeks slipping in to three day weeks and big unemployment.

The Labour Government, to be brutally honest, didn't have a clue what to do as their paymasters, the unions, had them by the nads:S British Leyland, Norton, Villiers, Triumph consolidated in to NVT making shyte mopeds etc and our bins not emptied for weeks!

I started work in the early 80s and jobs were freely available, money was to be made and fortune favoured the brave. The tory government brought in PEPS, latterly hijacked buy Blair and called ISAs, a great idea allowing the unwashed British public to make a bit of tax free dosh by investing in UK companies although this has changed a bit now.

I can't say selling off council houses & lack of respect for UK production were good but I can say that in my own circumstances, I benefitted through those years and they set me up through hard work and opportunity. Shame Theresa May doesn't seem to have shaped up to have the same Kahoonas as Maggie.

In defense of the unions it might be an idea to take a look at economics..    to pay down national debt you can inflate your way out of it..   its what Germany attempted during the twenties,  and many others countries still do today..

We're attempting the same thing ourselves even today in a roundabout way....  

Given that the government might want to inflate itself out of a crisis, why wouldn't the unions want to defend their workers rights by having the same inflation rated wages as the government was creating to pay off its debt?...

And, because the government used inflation to pay down loans, its only to be expected that unions might want to strike to defend the interests of their members..  Perhaps the people who created Scargill was both Labour and Conservative government tryin to pull one over the people of this country....

Perhaps the real Scargill was none other than Heath and Callahan pushing too hard at the time..

The same beast that created brexit in a way, with all this austerity..  due to paying down our debt..

30 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

In defense of the unions it might be an idea to take a look at economics..    to pay down national debt you can inflate your way out of it..   its what Germany attempted during the twenties,  and many others countries still do today..

We're attempting the same thing ourselves even today in a roundabout way....  

Given that the government might want to inflate itself out of a crisis, why wouldn't the unions want to defend their workers rights by having the same inflation rated wages as the government was creating to pay off its debt?...

And, because the government used inflation to pay down loans, its only to be expected that unions might want to strike to defend the interests of their members..  Perhaps the people who created Scargill was both Labour and Conservative government tryin to pull one over the people of this country....

Perhaps the real Scargill was none other than Heath and Callahan pushing too hard at the time..

The same beast that created brexit in a way, with all this austerity..  due to paying down our debt..

I do remember that the unions came out in defence of 10 members found to be sleeping on a night shift at Vauxhall in Luton.....any thoughts on that one? I think the mining unions couldn't grasp the fact that coal fired power stations were on the way out and that building substandard cars wasn't the way to compete with other manufacturers. The strikes didn't really help anybody and Rover was the last man standing........look what happened there!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spudulike said:

I do remember that the unions came out in defence of 10 members found to be sleeping on a night shift at Vauxhall in Luton.....any thoughts on that one? I think the mining unions couldn't grasp the fact that coal fired power stations were on the way out and that building substandard cars wasn't the way to compete with other manufacturers. The strikes didn't really help anybody and Rover was the last man standing........look what happened there!

can't argue with that..  but I know most strikes were about pay and conditions..   the odd ones in regard the numties getting above themselves in the unions...

Unless you lived in the communities where heavy industry closed the door Friday afternoon and said, good luck lad your on ya own, you will never understand.

It didn't matter if you were at the coal face all day everyday, or the best mining engineer in your county, you hadn't got a job, and for every job that came up there would be hundreds of applicants.

Don't get me started about the steel works.

I live in the dearne valley where the miners strike started. I know from first hand the devastation that she caused. You only have to look on you tube about her death, to realise the hatred people around here have for her.
But, I wish she was negotiating brexit, the eu would be quaking in their boots and waving the white flags.

• Like 1

I remember Arthur Scargill in the Sun saying 144 pits would close.... People thought he was mad!....... Error, they all are shut now.  This nonsense abt  clean energy- no fuel is ever clean but you can burn fuels in a low Emission manner with the right chemistry-like coal ( which we are sat on in UK) k