Margaret Thatcher.

Mick Dempsey

Margaret Thatcher’s tenure, positive or negative for the UK  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Would you say that the overall effect of Margaret Thatcher as Prime Minister was positive or negative for the UK?

• Yes, overall it was positive.
    • No, overall it was negative.

56 minutes ago, harvey b davison said:

But, I wish she was negotiating brexit, the eu would be quaking in their boots and waving the white flags.

I don't think there's much more she could have done with the Brexit negotiations, but she'd have done a better job than Cameron at getting the pre-referendum reforms that were needed, and she'd have done a better job than May at getting the fanatics in the Tory party to accept compromise in the national interest. 

She was good at enhancing Britain's position within Europe while retaining particularly favourable terms.  

• Like 1

I’ve had a ponder ??s. 

Whilst a fine opportunity for gum bashing, this’ll be one of they threads which serves mainly as a platform for the spewing forth of venomous vitriol where no genuine opinions are likely to be swayed one way or the other to any significant degree. 

As such, the benefit of presenting any personal opinion would be a fairly fruitless undertaking. 

Ive cast my vote and will acknowledge the returned result of the majority. I may, or may not agree with whatever the result returns, but hey, I’m not gonna spend the next 2 years whining about it.... ?

• Like 5

Maggie had the balls to stand up and speak her mind on several issues 

1) the miners it was,nt maggie that closed the mines it was the miners and there great leader scargill, no coal to run power stations, electric going off at 8pm after corrie, if the mines had been working she would of not had to inport coal from germany and find out that it was cheeper than mining our own, since privatisation of power co,s we have not had power cuts like we did in the 70s, british leyland shut but never at work all ways on strike, when i first took a mortgauge out interest was 18% it then started to fall, she encouraged people to save isa,s pep,s and take private pensions out and we did, my dad was not a fan of her but now he is retired he has a different view as he took a isa and a pension on and now says if was,nt for her both him and my mum would of had next to fuck all, 2 decent cars on the drive a garage full of classic bikes and money in the bank, and i for one followed suit with isa,s pensions etc and at some point i will take a isa or may be draw a pension but i wont know what to do with it, the only gripe i have is the poll tax as our rates at the time went from £145 per ann to about £1300 that really pissed me off but we get used to it, and last issue the falklands she had that sorted out in little time abd this gained her massive respect world wide, if any of you guys have not seen the film The iron lady watch it it is a education, 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 12/03/2019 at 23:59, spuddog0507 said:

Maggie had the balls to stand up and speak her mind on several issues 

1) the miners it was,nt maggie that closed the mines it was the miners and there great leader scargill, no coal to run power stations, electric going off at 8pm after corrie, if the mines had been working she would of not had to inport coal from germany and find out that it was cheeper than mining our own, since privatisation of power co,s we have not had power cuts like we did in the 70s, british leyland shut but never at work all ways on strike, when i first took a mortgauge out interest was 18% it then started to fall, she encouraged people to save isa,s pep,s and take private pensions out and we did, my dad was not a fan of her but now he is retired he has a different view as he took a isa and a pension on and now says if was,nt for her both him and my mum would of had next to fuck all, 2 decent cars on the drive a garage full of classic bikes and money in the bank, and i for one followed suit with isa,s pensions etc and at some point i will take a isa or may be draw a pension but i wont know what to do with it, the only gripe i have is the poll tax as our rates at the time went from £145 per ann to about £1300 that really pissed me off but we get used to it, and last issue the falklands she had that sorted out in little time abd this gained her massive respect world wide, if any of you guys have not seen the film The iron lady watch it it is a education, 

I remember the 1970s very well.  UK was on its knees, a has been nation laughed at by Europe and nothing on the World stage.

Power cuts, dock strikes, miners strikes, British Leyland strikes, rail strikes it was not good and the Unions were too powerful.

She started off well with the Falklands campaign which brought respect on the International stage.  She took on the unions which was never going to be popular with them or their families but it was quite popular with the silent majority.  She freed up the financial world to make London one of the most important places and really the cause of our wealth today.  

She was like a fierce school head mistress who nobody liked but most people respected and one of her greatest legacies was to join with Reagan to sort out the Soviet Union and cool down the Cold War., the fall of the Berlin wall and much more of the relative peace we have had since then until the EU started to tinker with the Ukraine.........

The fact that Reagan stopped to consult her on their way to Russia showed that she was a World leader.

She did have a vision that everyone could see, it did not appeal to all but at least it was a vision and she was a leader.

A great contrast to today's crowd of blow with the wind men in grey.

As a final note I am proud that we have had women leaders in these days of sex equality as an example to many countries that would never elect a woman on principle.   A lot of our strongest leaders have been women, both Elizabeth 1 and 2,  Victoria,.  When Margaret and the Queen were ruling over us we were run by women, bit like me in our household!

(Never happened in America!)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Margaret Thatcher also colluded with Ronald Reagan to cover up the truth behind the Lockerbie bombing.  30 years on the true culprits (who were well known almost from the start) have never been brought to justice and an innocent man went to prison and the wrong country was blamed.  (It is all on Wikipedia if you care to look).

I do think she was right to stand up to the unions however, and right to buy was of benefit to millions - though not allowing the councils to build new council houses with the money raised was scandalous and is one of the reasons we now have housing shortages.

I have not voted in the poll as there was good and bad about her, like most of the other politicians out there.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Billhook said:

I remember the 1970s very well.  UK was on its knees, a has been nation laughed at by Europe and nothing on the World stage.

Power cuts, dock strikes, miners strikes, British Leyland strikes, rail strikes it was not good and the Unions were too powerful.

She started off well with the Falklands campaign which brought respect on the International stage.  She took on the unions which was never going to be popular with them or their families but it was quite popular with the silent majority.  She freed up the financial world to make London one of the most important places and really the cause of our wealth today.  

She was like a fierce school head mistress who nobody liked but most people respected and one of her greatest legacies was to join with Reagan to sort out the Soviet Union and cool down the Cold War., the fall of the Berlin wall and much more of the relative peace we have had since then until the EU started to tinker with the Ukraine.........

The fact that Reagan stopped to consult her on their way to Russia showed that she was a World leader.

She did have a vision that everyone could see, it did not appeal to all but at least it was a vision and she was a leader.

A great contrast to today's crowd of blow with the wind men in grey.

As a final note I am proud that we have had women leaders in these days of sex equality as an example to many countries that would never elect a woman on principle.   A lot of our strongest leaders have been women, both Elizabeth 1 and 2,  Victoria,.  When Margaret and the Queen were ruling over us we were run by women, bit like me in our household!

(Never happened in America!)

Hi i remember it well, some good points there you raised, i remember having a bath by candle light on a regular basis, my Dad being put on 4 day wk then 3, then 2 and then being laid off for 6 wk as there was restrictions put on the amount of power a company could use, i remember we burnt most of our daily bin rubbish as there was no bin collections for wks, back then my dad had a very good firwood round we had a deal with a sawmill that we took his slab wood that was all cut on site with a fergi bench on the back of a David Brown 25D we had a shed at this sawmill and storage space, we where selling logs in the old 50kg yellow or blue ICI fretilizer bags 5 bags for a £1 and as coal was in very short supply to the public for heating we where selling logs nearly every day as he was not at work, but this didn,t last long as there was no power for the mill, so the miners strike had a massive knock on effect and if she had not done what she did the miners would of basically shut the UK down, i could,nt even play the records i had bought, and at this time i was listening to the likes of The Clash, Pistols, Sham 69, Gen X, Blondie, Members etc and i still do they where good times, but there was some shite chucked in to the mix as well, watch something on TV a few week ago about the late 70s and there was some footage i had not seen before which brings me to the point of the riots and looting that all so took place around this time, and the footage was of John Craven (with dark hair but same style as today ) reporting for his own news round with what i would of said was a flack or bullet proof vest on with bricks and bottles being thrown behind him not good but the country had been driven to this point by its own people, the life we have today i think stems back to the Thatcher era as there is some things she put in place that are going to benifit some of us now in our 50s, i was looking in to my pensions not long ago and basically when i make my mind up of when i am going to take 1 out i wont know what to do with it ? sat having a brew with my dad in the summer (about 3 wk ago at end of feb) having a chat and he said to me that he has never touched his state pension yet, but then moaning about having to fork out to put a exhaust on his car,,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/03/2019 at 16:45, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Maybe as the evening draws out and the productive, creative, contributors to society get home and catch up that lead will pull even further away from the work-shy, stay at home dossers that spend all day online rather than doing something more constructive with their lives....

I have just had a new hip which excuses my constant online presence (if I'm not trying to sort out my wanked out motors)?

Edited by Baldbloke
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1