Decent spiking boots

Cheers Matty, what was it particularly that made them bad for spiking?

Not enough in them on the soles , great chainsaw boot for general tree work almost like wearing scarpas but if I had a lot of straight upright spar work I could not wait to get them off... some days on spikes they didn’t bother me at all ,but I can think of many occasions I could not wait to kick them off... I think I bitched about that a lot going from pfanners to Andrews but over time got used to it.. and now I’ve gone back I noticed straight away how comfy the Pilates are on spikes.

1 minute ago, MattyF said:

Not enough in them on the soles , great chainsaw boot for general tree work almost like wearing scarpas but if I had a lot of straight upright spar work I could not wait to get them off... some days on spikes they didn’t bother me at all ,but I can think of many occasions I could not wait to kick them off... I think I bitched about that a lot going from pfanners to Andrews but over time got used to it.. and now I’ve gone back I noticed straight away how comfy the Pilates are on spikes.

So is it just that the soles are thin/ flexible? I don't mind that as I weigh naff all and have tiny size sevens. The thing that I'm keen to know about is if they've got enough heel to keep the spike firmly in place. My scaffel boots have done me really well but the sole is worn to the point that it can't keep spikes in place

The Pfanners are a really gay colour Joe, you should probably go for them.

[emoji23]
Red shoes no knickers is what they say mate .. those bright yellow rivets are pretty handy on the Pilates ,having spent the day in a dank dark larch plantation they kept reminding me not to put my saw bar in my feet.
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

So is it just that the soles are thin/ flexible? I don't mind that as I weigh naff all and have tiny size sevens. The thing that I'm keen to know about is if they've got enough heel to keep the spike firmly in place. My scaffel boots have done me really well but the sole is worn to the point that it can't keep spikes in place

Mine don’t move an inch with the straps Joe.

Might be different with the velcro.

Enough heel without being too 70’s.

The Pilates do look good.

Just might be a bit clunky for spikeless clambering work.

BAF3FDF2-DFA3-456C-B281-F2E97F807023.jpeg

Yeah I would say that’s it ,thin and flexible....
You just need to get those leather straps on your geckos though... I think they are not to bad if you get them up tight enough but mine would move about if not and come off the heel, would be interested to know what mark and rich are wearing spike wise on them.. I don’t think rich has ever had any bother with spikes on the Andrews though.

19 minutes ago, MattyF said:

I could be wrong here joe but the grey Andrews with the foot clip in foot ascender attachment possibly is still low cut at the rear.

Yeah, but I'm not paying an extra £50 for a feature I won't use.

Just ordered the Andrews. I've recently got the leather bottoms for my geckos but it was effort getting them tight enough that they wouldn't slip off the none existent heel. 

Sure these will be fine. I don't need  a massively clunky boot, just one that'll keep the shank where it's meant to be. 

I'll let you know how I get on, if I don't one of you can buy a cheap pair for your wives/sisters

• Like 1