Queen to cut down Windsor trees

Paul Cleaver

2 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

That will be a great send off for Phil when the time comes.

I've always fancied one of those burning longboat funerals. I don't feel much in common with the Vikings but I do want to be a fucking nuisance to the London crowd that spend their weekends crowding out the local sailing people at Mersea Island before I go. :evilgrin02:

• Haha 3

Dailymail.com - ah that explains everything! They write all their articles to get a reaction. The way that's written people think they're gonna go out and pick the oldest most veteran trees they can find. At no point do they mention that the woodland has been cultivated and managed and can spare the very few trees (in comparison) to what's required.
This article should probably also be on the daily mails list of things that give you cancer

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PDizzle said:

Dailymail.com - ah that explains everything! They write all their articles to get a reaction. The way that's written people think they're gonna go out and pick the oldest most veteran trees they can find. At no point do they mention that the woodland has been cultivated and managed and can spare the very few trees (in comparison) to what's required.
This article should probably also be on the daily mails list of things that give you cancer

they also fail to mention that a huge amount of what is planted is purely for the use in the fires of any buildings within the grounds.

when i went to their yards in swinley forest they had just felled many acres of beech that were planted for firewood 60-100 years ago.

7 hours ago, se7enthdevil said:

they also fail to mention that a huge amount of what is planted is purely for the use in the fires of any buildings within the grounds.

when i went to their yards in swinley forest they had just felled many acres of beech that were planted for firewood 60-100 years ago.

Clearing out a sawmill/timber yard in the late eighties/early nineties, most of the beech timber seemed to be going for pip props. If it wasn't of good quality, then it would go to firewood...   How times change.

8 hours ago, se7enthdevil said:

yep, It's amazing what people are allowed to publish these days.

I used to live near windsor, kinda wish i'd applied for a job at the crown forestry - I'd love to go have a look round their woodyard

42 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

, most of the beech timber seemed to be going for pip props

More likely chocks and cover boards. They were used to interface between rock and jacks and lost as the face moved forward I think. They didn't need strength in bending so came from the tops, the first grade white beech went for furniture and the second grade for framing things like sofas.

Mining timber was a bit better price than pulp but bigger stuff was accepted than pulp.

Props were softwood thinnings and the reason the FC was created as it was shortage of these that threatened coal mining and hence industry and the navy in the first world war.

• Like 2