Need advice, want to upgrade my saw.

GotWood

7 hours ago, GotWood said:

Thanks Echo.

Im getting a shot of a 550xp to see what it's like. The same friend has a MS440 which he's said I can borrow any time for bigger stuff, he never uses it so I may make him an offer.

The MS241 is an option I hadn't considered, looks like a capable little saw.

I may end up getting two saws! 

The new 550xp mk2 is also an option, 60.00 pounds more expensive, but a totally new design, and for what you are doing the 545  mk 2 is also out, only 8 pounds more xpensive than the old 550xp, its close in power to the 550 but does not have rev boost, which wont hold you back much, unless you get a bit of discount on the older 550xp I would try and hold out for the newer 550xp or go 8 pounds more for the new 545 mk2.

Either way, hope you get sorted and enjoy your purchase.

All this talk of 550’s 261’s ..... they are saws designed for snedding out spruce etc with high chain speed not cutting fire wood ,they are too highly strung for been buried bar deep with a blunt chain in timber for hours in end and I would not give an auto tune saw to a none pro saw to cut wood .. only sensible saw suggestion seen so far is the husky 365 pretty much designed for the task at hand ,a pro saw with plenty of torque which is what you need not high chain speed.. they will go on forever nice and simple with no auto tune and not as highly strung as a372 also a cheaper to buy....hurry up though before they all go off the shelves.

• Like 3

All this talk of 550’s 261’s ..... they are saws designed for snedding out spruce etc with high chain speed not cutting fire wood ,they are too highly strung for been buried bar deep with a blunt chain in timber for hours in end and I would not give an auto tune saw to a none pro saw to cut wood .. only sensible saw suggestion seen so far is the husky 365 pretty much designed for the task at hand ,a pro saw with plenty of torque which is what you need not high chain speed.. they will go on forever nice and simple with no auto tune and not as highly strung as a372 also a cheaper to buy....hurry up though before they all go off the shelves.

Good advice [emoji106]

1 hour ago, MattyF said:

Thanks Matty, what you say makes a lot of sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MattyF said:

I agree with what your saying but in the original post the guy was asking for advice on a 50cc saw

Having used a 181 even a decent  40cc would be a huge leap up from a 181 in cut speed/performance but hardly an increase in saw weight.

e.g 241

So i reckon you need 2 new saws for different diameter wood & keep the 181 as a spare. ?

Edited by Stere
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MattyF said:

Yes . I find the 261 a good grounds saw but less a production forestry one than a husky.

I think you are right  about wanting a simple saw for home use and firewood. I actually rated the Dolmar 5121 for it's ruggedness and old school simplicity, although I think it was only 45cc and as heavy as a modern 60cc it was cheap, supeseded now. At the time I bought one it was just over half the price of a 261 and under £300.

For simple grunt I have yet to find something to beat my old Huskvarna 262s.