Need advice, want to upgrade my saw.

GotWood

It would appear to be a 50cc although someone will pipe up with cylinder head markings to confirm. I’ve got both the 50cc and the 46cc.

I’d also recommend a 12v chain sharpener £94+ vat from rob at chainsawbars.co.uk had it for years and makes keeping chains sharp effortless. Arguably more important than having a good going saw.

Hey Fonzy, you got any pics of your sharpener? I have the stihl easy files at min for when out and about.

It’s called G1012XT Granberg Precision Grinder

Careful googling grinder though

Thanks, found it in Rob’s website, has a neat little vid to watch too [emoji106] how long would you say the stones last on average?
My dad bought me a cheapy grinder from local Wednesday night auction mart, its a bench clamped step up, but it has too much play in all its joints due to it being made from plastic, the grinds arent consistent unfortunately.

Early saws with no decomp and all orange were 45cc . Then came the first 50cc which was still all orange but with a primer bulb and de comp . Then came the " silver side " which is the same only silver side cover .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/03/2019 at 21:42, GotWood said:

Thanks for all the replies.

I must admit I did think I should maybe look at 60-70cc saws for the bigger stuff but I could borrow a big saw from a friend occasionally if I need one. I'm seeking out a bit of an all rounder and my gut is telling me to get the ms261 as it's a decent step up in performance without getting too expensive, there's also a dealership nearby. Then again, maybe I should entertain something bigger.

I do have a basic set of safety trousers/chaps already, it's a good thing to point out really, I should probably look to get better ones and a jacket.

One thing im surprised is the suggestions to run a 16" bar on the 50cc saws. My little 181 is on a 16" bar and runs fine. I know it's a smaller gauge chain though.

Ideally I'd like something with a big enough bar that minimises the work when cross cutting into rings. I won't be doing a great deal of felling.

The reason I am weary of pine is because I have a twinwall flue, which was rather bloody expensive. I was told by the chap that installed them that pine is the worst wood for leaving corrosive residues. Yes I would season it for sure.

Electric corded saws are not an option due to the location I cut. I also don't like the idea of having a cord dangling around me anyway, but I know those saws are plenty capable and have their uses. 

never liked the 16inch bar onthe 181,changed to a 12 a while back,good wee saw around half two three oclock in the afty.