Need advice, want to upgrade my saw.

GotWood

No electronic controlled carb on a Dolmar or Makita as of yet anyway.

I agree, this new stuff does not seem to be sticking the course like the older saws did.

But the MT AT is well buried in epoxy to keep us from deciphering it.

I think the vibrations of the saw will knock these electronic control units out through time, which will certainly happen way before 20 years, or 40 odd in case of my old 041 Stihl. 

The Dolmar / Makita don't have that kind of electronics, so should be repairable for a lot longer.

After-market parts are also available for them too, has anyone seen an AT or MT after-market part, even if someone did manage to decipher them they would end up in court, and because of the nature of such electronics would after-market copies hold out, even a solenoid, lots to consider in that sense.

And now they have started down that road, am quite sure they will ensure last years parts wont be worth a monkey on a newer saw, thats how they keep turning us over and emptying out pockets, all in the interest of bringing us the best possible saw of course, and saving the environment.

Edited by Echo

Hello all.

Ive been offered a really fresh 346xp which I’m seriously considering, £300ish and it’s not done much at all.

I know it won’t be fantastic in the big wood  but like I say, I could always borrow a bigger saw.

A forum member has also contacted me selling an MS250 which is an option.

Plenty to think about, thankfully I don’t need to do anything in a hurry though.

I 2nd gary!

Get the 346xp,bullet proof saw.I have a spud ported 346xp which pulls an 18" bar no problems but a standard version is ideal on a 15" bar.

Gutsy enough for most jobs,

felling,crosscutting and logging.

You can of course hire a bigger saw that can pull a 20" + bar for ringing up the bigger stuff.

• Like 2

I have bought the 346xp.

When I get my hands on it I’ll give it the once over. Probably give it a new plug and a primer bulb straight away, assess what the bar and chain are like.

I need some some recommendations on what bar and chain to put on it, and anywhere to buy them from?