Need advice, want to upgrade my saw.

GotWood

12 hours ago, swinny said:

261 stihls were having issues with the needle bearings and buggering cranks. Supposidly been sorted by now but who knows..... 

1 hour ago, stihlmadasever said:

If you choose to go husky then id avoid 550,560xps,heard so many horror stories of them goin pop in a year

Fuck that

So the sthil 261 and husky 550 both have issues. Great! 

10 hours ago, green horn said:

Whats your budget ? Husqy 562 light weight packs a punch emoji108.png

Probably £500-£700 ish ideally but flexible for the right saw.  

12 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

If you're going for a 50cc saw its worth considering running a narrow kerf chain. I run Oregon 95TXL on my ported 357 and its definitely quicker than the standard .325 chain. 

Good info, thank you.

10 hours ago, neiln said:

BillP got it right first reply......365 x -torq pairs well with my ms180.  I would say that...I bought the 365 from Bill

In all honesty though, if you want a 2 saw plan, go 60cc or bigger.  If you get a 50cc saw I suspect you'll not use the ms181 much after that.

Yeah I think your right. I'd like to think I'll use it now and agin for the garden stuff and it's always good to have a backup. It still runs and starts as good as it ever did so I'd be reluctant to give it away.

Edited by GotWood
  • Like 1

Yes keep your 181. 

I bought a stihl ms362 this week to replace my husky 550. Im not a massive husky fan to be fair.

i was going to try the 365 husky the main point being no mtronic but rest of my stuff is stihl. 

All my bars still interchangeable and all on 3/8 so no different files etc

Go try some saws if you can before spending brass

3 hours ago, stihlmadasever said:

We have 4x 261's at work with no problems.

The needle bearing issue has been addressed by stihl as far as im aware.

After swerving any form of recall or compensation. Those saws that knocked out their cranks are dire and the 362 had similar issues. Not good that the customer had to take the hit!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, spudulike said:

After swerving any form of recall or compensation. Those saws that knocked out their cranks are dire and the 362 had similar issues. Not good that the customer had to take the hit!

Totally agree spud.

I was told by a couple of unfortunates that stihl first tried to blame the 261's issues on the owner not using stihl two stroke oil.

Terrible customer service.

Were currently having issues with one of our ms201's.Refuses to start when hot,bastard thing!

Our other 201 is fine...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, stihlmadasever said:

Totally agree spud.

I was told by a couple of unfortunates that stihl first tried to blame the 261's issues on the owner not using stihl two stroke oil.

Terrible customer service.

Were currently having issues with one of our ms201's.Refuses to start when hot,bastard thing!

Our other 201 is fine...

Agreed, a lot of people suffered because of the soft cranks in those 261 's with the end of the crank wearing, and internals like bearings going out with very low hours.

I am going to get a new 45cc, but am waiting to hold one of the new 550 mk2 saws, they are advertised as being heavier than the old 550, but if the problems of old are sorted, that should bring back customers, the smaller 45cc which the dealer never mentioned coming in, will probably be my choice though, unless when I see them together the 550 has something that can lure me.

The OP saw question, difficult one, but from using an MS180, I think he would be more than happy with a 50cc Pro saw, unless he is cutting those larger often, for getting a saw big enough to cut them at some speed is going to land him with a saw that will be way too heavy for continuous use on anything under 12 inch, which a 50cc will handle all day long, a jump from a 180 to even a  50 or 60cc saw is no joke, night and day difference and unless you need to cut big wood, hard wood or cut wood fast, its going to tire you out, being tired with a chainsaw in your hands is no place to be, standing in a yard cutting rings may be manageable with a big saw, its essentially resting on the log as you cut, only need to lift it back up for the next cut again, but stumbling and climbing around a forest wood or hill side is going to make life tougher.

The Echo 501 is a good saw, especially for firewood type of work, it is light too, small things like the see through tank is hand so you don't run out, its easy started, there is no Auto tune or Mtronic to go wrong, just a carb. As regards bar length, I would stick with 16 inch even on a 60cc saw, thats what I had on my echo 501, the 15 inch that fits that echo is not as deep, it has a smaller radius nose too, both things I avoid, the 16 is ideal.

Makita Dolmar are also good saws, I would avoid the current 50cc Stihls, wouldn't mind a 241, and see what the new Husqvarna's are like, the problems with the older Husqvarna's were sorted as best they could, and many people had no trouble with them, they will probably be a bit cheaper with the new models coming out.

What ever you chose I hope it serves you well.

Edited by Echo