Need advice, want to upgrade my saw.

GotWood

15 minutes ago, swinny said:

Got wood, you may run a 16” bar on a 181 but no offence intended, run a 16” bar on a proper saw 261/362 and you’ll wonder why you messed about and put up with the 181, it will be so slow in comparison

Thank you, I look forwards to finding out!

If I'm honest, I just followed the guy in the shops advice about replacing the 181's bar and chain. I think it came with a 14" though right enough. We all think bigger is better!

10 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Regards the flue, only negatives are if you burn it unseasoned it will still have a high sap content, which would leave deposits on your liner. Well seasoned, 2yrs plus from average out in the air drying will present no issues, (imo) i burned some last year that was 18+ months seasoned and it was fine.
The saw decision will be purely down to your own preferences. I prefer older saws to new, but i dont mind tinkering, its in my nature. But take time and listen to advice of all, after all its potentially a big investment for ya.

I have quite a lot of Ash and Oak to get through so that's really why I've not bothered with the pine. Yes im a hydraulics technician so I'm partial to playing with things in my shed myself. I'd not say no to a used saw but I'm happy enough to buy new as long as it's not ridiculous. At the end of the day it needs to last a long time.

My friend has bought one of the Hutzl Chinese clone saws of a husqvarna. I'm not so convinced it's a great idea but it seems to work fine at the moment.

Hi,

problem is people at the saw shop love people who arnt up on what they need etc... they gave you poor ish advice in my opinion, only thing in your favour is maybe you get less back ache with the longer bar. On the other hand if your not the best at sharpening i bet your wearing the bar easily and putting a lot of pressure on it / sprocket nose too. 

20” wood at work i would pick up the 441” and crack on. Times money and theres nothing more frustrating when doing a time consiming job like ringing up with a saw thats too small for the task. 

261 stihls were having issues with the needle bearings and buggering cranks. Supposidly been sorted by now but who knows..... 

husq 365 is good bang for your buck, 500 plus vat for 18” bar brand new. Have a look. If you like them crack on and buy one as theyre phasing out the 3 series saws.

Edited by swinny
  • Like 1

On the bar size, your 181 will take a time to get through wood with a 16", a 50cc saw will take much less time and you will be able to lean on it with no risk of bogging.

It caught me in the early days when I saw a professional using a 15" on a 357XP, couldn't understand it until I gained a bit more knowledge and experience!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, spudulike said:

On the bar size, your 181 will take a time to get through wood with a 16", a 50cc saw will take much less time and you will be able to lean on it with no risk of bogging.

It caught me in the early days when I saw a professional using a 15" on a 357XP, couldn't understand it until I gained a bit more knowledge and experience!

Thanks. Yeah I have a lot to learn it seems.

13 minutes ago, swinny said:

Hi,

problem is people at the saw shop love people who arnt up on what they need etc... they gave you poor ish advice in my opinion, only thing in your favour is maybe you get less back ache with the longer bar. On the other hand if your not the best at sharpening i bet your wearing the bar easily and putting a lot of pressure on it / sprocket nose too. 

20” wood at work i would pick up the 441” and crack on. Times money and theres nothing more frustrating when doing a time consiming job like ringing up with a saw thats too small for the task. 

261 stihls were having issues with the needle bearings and buggering cranks. Supposidly been sorted by now but who knows..... 

husq 365 is good bang for your buck, 500 plus vat for 18” bar brand new. Have a look. If you like them crack on and buy one as theyre phasing out the 3 series saws.

I don't think I'm too bad at sharpening, i was taught by someone that worked for the forestry commission. I know what you mean though. You do have to nurse the 181 through in the bigger wood.

Does seem a lot of saw for the money.

https://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products/husqvarna-365-x-torq-chainsaw-70-7cc/husqvarna-365-x-torq-chainsaw-70-7cc-18-inch-bar-chain/

BillP got it right first reply......365 x -torq pairs well with my ms180.  I would say that...I bought the 365 from Bill

In all honesty though, if you want a 2 saw plan, go 60cc or bigger.  If you get a 50cc saw I suspect you'll not use the ms181 much after that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, swinny said:

This . Saves me typing .

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GotWood said:

Thanks for all the replies.

I must admit I did think I should maybe look at 60-70cc saws for the bigger stuff but I could borrow a big saw from a friend occasionally if I need one. I'm seeking out a bit of an all rounder and my gut is telling me to get the ms261 as it's a decent step up in performance without getting too expensive, there's also a dealership nearby. Then again, maybe I should entertain something bigger.

I do have a basic set of safety trousers/chaps already, it's a good thing to point out really, I should probably look to get better ones and a jacket.

One thing im surprised is the suggestions to run a 16" bar on the 50cc saws. My little 181 is on a 16" bar and runs fine. I know it's a smaller gauge chain though.

Ideally I'd like something with a big enough bar that minimises the work when cross cutting into rings. I won't be doing a great deal of felling.

The reason I am weary of pine is because I have a twinwall flue, which was rather bloody expensive. I was told by the chap that installed them that pine is the worst wood for leaving corrosive residues. Yes I would season it for sure.

Electric corded saws are not an option due to the location I cut. I also don't like the idea of having a cord dangling around me anyway, but I know those saws are plenty capable and have their uses. 

Id actually agree with what some have said,a 16" bar on a 261 is perfect and thats our everyday saw setup at work but a 261 will pull an 18" bar with full chisel chain no problem for the larger stuff.

Remember you dont need a big saw and bar for cutting larger diameter stuff.Is it easier with a big bar and saw? Yes!!  but if you can use a smaller saw and know how to use that saw well,ie reduction cuts,bore cuts etc its more ergonomic than luggin a big lump of a saw around all day.

If you choose to go husky then id avoid 550,560xps,heard so many horror stories of them goin pop in a year

Fuck that