Need advice, want to upgrade my saw.

GotWood

Hello, new to the forum and would appreciate some good advice.

I have a sthil ms181 which has never let me down and has been adequate for most of the garden stuff. But now I'm getting my hands on bigger trees for firewood I fancy something a bit more equal to the task.

Im not near the skill or knowledge level of an arborist by any means but I am probably using a chainsaw more than the average person. I have a reasonable sized property, with beech trees and hedges, I like to heat my home in winter with my woodburning stove. I have access to reasonable sized Ash and pine. Probably 20-30" trunks. The pine I've mainly processed for friends. I'm not so sure it's good to put it in my stove because of the sap.

I think something around 50cc would be fine. My shortlist so far is a sthil ms261, or a husky 550xp, there is also a garden machinery dealer near me that is trying to get me to buy an echo.

Any advice on what to go for is appreciated. I run my 181 on Aspen 2, as it tends to sit there for months at a time.

IMG_0211.JPG

Stihl 261 18" bar full chisel chain.

If your looking for a smaller saw that pulls well,look at the stihl 241c.

Great little saw and will happily pull a 16 " bar full chisel chain all day.

The 261 has more grunt but the 241 is lighter and more ergonomic.

If it was me id have the 241.

• Like 1

You could try:

http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/productcatalog/chain_saws_gasoline/ps-421/index.html

Dolmar 421 same class as the 241 (40cc)

Comes as the Makita ea4300 in the UK

Compared to a 181 flies through wood. Won't be as fast as 550xp or 261 though especially on larger diamter stuff.

For firewood  crosscutting I use an electric corded makita 2kw on most stuff  apart the large diameter hardwood

Makita  electric  corded cuts alot faster than a 181

Also pine is fine in stove as long as seasoned

Edited by Stere

Don't give your pine away ( don't know that you are ) . All wood hard or soft if seasoned properly is good to burn . Just thought I would knock that myth on the head right now .  By the best saw you can afford in the size you want . 50 - 60 cc or even 70 cc . Husqvarna , Stihl , Dolmar Echo etc will all be good . 

• Like 5

Stihl 261 18" bar full chisel chain.
If your looking for a smaller saw that pulls well,look at the stihl 241c.
Great little saw and will happily pull a 16 " bar full chisel chain all day.
The 261 has more grunt but the 241 is lighter and more ergonomic.
If it was me id have the 241.
... whereas I run 16" on my 261 and would say that's perfect, don't get 18".

My 2p would be that if you have only one saw then 50cc perfect, 40cc a bit small so 261/550xp good choice. I started with Stihl largely because of dealer support near me.

After that it really depends how much of the bigger stuff you are going to cut, a lot of 20"+ stems then you may want a 70cc saw to make it quicker but that's another big step in cost, power, weight, cutting forces etc so not a natural step from the 181.
  • Like 1

... whereas I run 16" on my 261 and would say that's perfect, don't get 18".

My 2p would be that if you have only one saw then 50cc perfect, 40cc a bit small so 261/550xp good choice. I started with Stihl largely because of dealer support near me.

After that it really depends how much of the bigger stuff you are going to cut, a lot of 20"+ stems then you may want a 70cc saw to make it quicker but that's another big step in cost, power, weight, cutting forces etc so not a natural step from the 181.

I came off 18” on my 026 and went to 16”, i’m not an everyday cutter but noticed a difference in the saws capabilities. (Running .325 full chisel chain, not tried semi yet as been more than happy up to press and tend to powerwash any dirty wood i get beforehand anyhow)

9 minutes ago, Ratman said:

I came off 18” on my 026 and went to 16”, i’m not an everyday cutter but noticed a difference in the saws capabilities. (Running .325 full chisel chain, not tried semi yet as been more than happy up to press and tend to powerwash any dirty wood i get beforehand anyhow)

Yes couldnt understand people running an 18” on an 026, i always ran a 15” and kept it sharp.  

I think the poster on here would be needing minimum 60cc if not a 70cc

Its all about time, esp on 20” plus wood you need something on top of the job!

I’ve given up on 50cc now and gone back to 60cc for smallest ground saws.

Edited by swinny
  • Like 5

I prefer stihl to husqvarna, but that's just a personal opinion, so can't really make fair comment on the husky. I think a 241, or if you want to spend a bit more 261 would do you nicely, it will cope with the larger diameter stuff once kept sharp. If you sharpen well it will drive the longer bar, if necessary. Maybe not at a commercial rate but it doesn't sound like you need to produce wood at that rate. They are light saws for their power and not overly aggressive as a 70cc plus saw may be. 

If you don't have them already, invest in a pair of cut resistant pants. They may save your life one day.

The pine sap thing... Burn away on it once it's properly dry, no worries.

• Like 1

Yes couldnt understand people running an 18” on an 026, i always ran a 15” and kept it sharp.  

I think the poster on here would be fine with an 50cc saw

I’ve given up on 50cc now and gone back to 60cc for smallest ground saws.

Funny you should mention 15” swinny, [emoji849] i could of sworn i had a 15” bar for my 026 so ordered a couple of chains..... tosser me!!! It was a 16” bar i had [emoji23][emoji23] so ordered a couple of 16” chains as worked out cheaper than buying a bar ? love my 026 though and no regrets with the 16” in the end at all.
  • Like 1