Am I to fat and old?

DaveJL

I have been nosing around here for a while on the forums as I'm looking for a career change, it has helped get rid of a few misconceptions I've had, and has helped me understand what is and will be required of me to start out. However one of the most notable things I have taken away is how fit, nimble and young you guys are, and I can see those of an older age started out young and have progressed through.

I'm a truck driver, I'm 43 and 15 years behind the wheel has paid its toll on my physique, this however I've been working on since August last year, I've lost 15kg through dieting and I am now in the process of starting cardio to further reduce the weight. I am currently at 105kg and 185cm.

I'd like to add that although I say I'm a truck driver, there's more to it than that, I actually own the truck, have an O' license etc etc. So when I say I know what is expected of me I really do, I worked very hard to get to where I am today, and still do work my arse off. The truck is due for replacement August this year and I just can't justify the costs vs rates I get for the hard work and hours I do. So I have decided to make a change, I want a physical job to rebuild my strength and well being that involves the outdoors.

So, to the question in hand, am I to fat and old? I understand life is what we make of it, however having some guidance and advice from the people who know is worth it's weight in gold. So have you seen an old fat bloke stuck in a tree? A guy who can't see what he's cutting because his gut got in the way? seriously though, what are your thoughts, am I barking up the wrong tree, I have the mental capacity to fulfil the task and the want to learn, and I'm sure the the physical side will come, but I don't want to waste time on what could only be a short career because of my weight (fat or muscle)  and size, as the fat will go, but will only be replaced with muscle.

Please don't hold back and be blunt.

• Like 2

I wouldn’t pursue the climbing thing, takes a long time to become competent to become employable and the money isn’t stellar unless you’re running your own thing (meaning more time taken)

Purely as an idea, why not get good with a saw and get a grab lorry to remove and transport arb arisings.

Plenty of fresh air and exercise and decent money if done right.

• Like 11

I wouldn’t pursue the climbing thing, takes a long time to become competent to become employable and the money isn’t stellar unless you’re running your own thing (meaning more time taken)

Purely as an idea, why not get good with a saw and get a grab lorry to remove and transport arb arisings.

Plenty of fresh air and exercise and decent money if done right.

Hello Dave,

As Steve says you’re on your way up having lost 25kg [emoji106][emoji106]
But I think Mick could be on to something utilising a skill you already have.
In short it’s a brutal industry, you break there is always someone to fill your shoes immediately.
I would suggest that, at your age to start climbing is a good achievable goal to aim for.
But, it’s likely the level you will reach will make you proficient enough to become an aerial rescuer/2nd climber within a company and as Mick said command a wage which i wouldn’t have thought equal to one driving your own rig ( overheads obviously would be less)
To command a greater wage would mean lead
Climber or running your own set up which although not in achievable would
take some outlay and going for it from scratch, bearing in mind the time/money in learning the new industry/skills.
BUT as a rig owning/driving grounds man who can climb and has all the tickets you could find yourself well in demand .
It’s never too late to start again I would say [emoji106]
Good
luck

Cheers
I

Book yourself on a climbing course or pay a subbie climber for a day to take you for a decent days climbing, you'll soon know if you want to do more!

Know a few folk who really liked the look of it, and had a horrible time on the cause hating every minute up the tree.

But having a minimum of aerial rescue ticket and basic chainsaw ticket will make you more useful to others.

• Like 3

Thank you all for the words of wisdom.

The truck/company has only started to turn a profit in the past 2-3 years, and with that I'm only paying myself £250pw, it's a good crack and its easy but there's just no money in it now, had an accident that put me off the road last September for 5 weeks, it almost broke me, and that's where the thoughts of a change really kicked in.

Getting my hands on a grab truck won't be a problem, but I'll definitely get the training done first. After I've sold all my assets I'll have enough to comfortably live and train for a couple of months, Treehouse/Kingswood do a 5 day course I'm interested in, that'll get me started and I can go from there.

Problem for me at the moment is I'm away all week and I want to spend time with my missus and boy at the weekends (my truck life has taken a toll on them), so getting out with some guys or a firm proves somewhat difficult, that said I've got a week or two free in May I can ask about for.

I'm in Milton Keynes, however travelling for me is no problem.

Once again thank you.

Thank you all for the words of wisdom.

The truck/company has only started to turn a profit in the past 2-3 years, and with that I'm only paying myself £250pw, it's a good crack and its easy but there's just no money in it now, had an accident that put me off the road last September for 5 weeks, it almost broke me, and that's where the thoughts of a change really kicked in.

Getting my hands on a grab truck won't be a problem, but I'll definitely get the training done first. After I've sold all my assets I'll have enough to comfortably live and train for a couple of months, Treehouse/Kingswood do a 5 day course I'm interested in, that'll get me started and I can go from there.

Problem for me at the moment is I'm away all week and I want to spend time with my missus and boy at the weekends (my truck life has taken a toll on them), so getting out with some guys or a firm proves somewhat difficult, that said I've got a week or two free in May I can ask about for.

I'm in Milton Keynes, however travelling for me is no problem.

Once again thank you.

Moreton Morrell College, Warwickshire offer a number of courses which isn’t a million miles from you. If you don’t mind a few nights away I wouldn’t hesitate in speaking to Demelza at Lowe maintenance, Settle, North Yorkshire
01729 825132 many NPTC courses as well
as taster days, LOLER inspections, kit manufacturer etc.
Good luck Dave
Cheers
I

I’ve never seen an old fat guy climbing ‘cos I’ve never seen a mirror in a tree.

But, seriously, it sounds like you would enjoy tree work. The 2nd / rescue climber with a saw and the ability to shift large quantities of arisings with a decent sized rig option sounds like a great idea. The majority of teams out there usually only have transit sized trucks and they really limit production.
Hope it works out for you. [emoji106]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1