Climate change anyone?

the village idiot

15 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Is there any real life examples from the folks here that show they are leading by example? Genuinely interested at what all the Doom Mongers are actually doing? 

I think I must have the lowest carbon footprint on here...   never drive unless I have to, make sure no lights are turned on when they don't need be on and for the most part heating is provided by a giant duck down quilt I use why sat on my couch/lying on my couch..   I'm sat here now the wind blowing through the doors and windows and snug as anug in a rug...   I recon I can get through a winter with fires on two weeks all told..    its not for everyone but I like to pit myself against the elements..  

something to do with admiring the way of the Spartans..   I like that sort of shit...plus it has the advantage of lowering my carbon footprint..   

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

To be fair that is a lot more than most. :) 

Dont see what relevance owning a home is?

I have 3 children now and 1 on the way. I like to make up for those that choose to have none. 

I fly almost weekly. :D 

I help extract Oil. :D 

What do you have in your column? ?

I would suggest you're probably not Greenpeace material.?

Not judging, just saying, but one flight for one passenger is equivalent to 8 months of driving a car in terms of CO2 release. 

• Like 1

Just now, the village idiot said:

I would suggest you're probably not Greenpeace material.?

Not judging, just saying, but one flight for one passenger is equivalent to 8 months of driving a car in terms of CO2 release. 

I think flying has to be one of the most polluting things I/we do.  Dont feel so bad about having 4 cars now, half of which are almost 6.0l V8's. :D 

4 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Not a syndrome then, just a weirdo on the internet.

So you missed the Wiki article I posted below the vid?..    I could of posted others as Kennith provided links to many others on his utube site under the vid...

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

I think flying has to be one of the most polluting things I/we do.  Dont feel so bad about having 4 cars now, half of which are almost 6.0l V8's. :D 

I think flying only accounts for around 12% of CO2 emissions (could be wrong).

Agriculture is a big one, especially beef production.

I'll see if I can find a proper breakdown.

5 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Err not that but their attitude living simply and enduring hardships as part of life.. stoicism is similar I think..  anyway, I like to live simply and with some hardship as a bonus..   

7 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

So you missed the Wiki article I posted below the vid?..    I could of posted others as Kennith provided links to many others on his utube site under the vid...

No I read it, it states ‘this article is about a popular phrase’  it doesn’t describe a clinical syndrome. 

That is your invention.

Spare us any more from Kennith, the spectacle of him in full camouflage next to bench in a public park was quite enough thanks.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, the village idiot said:

The psychology of this is really interesting. It was partly why I started the thread, to see what the feeling was amongst us wood chuckers.

Given the all encompassing nature of the problem it is a bit odd (like the girl said in Beau's video) that the world isn't talking about it all the time.

Is it too bad to contemplate? Are the worst effects too far in the future? Are the sacrifices we would have to make a deal breaker? Have we gone too far down the road of dismissing expert opinion when we don't like the findings? Is an existential crisis more than our brains are evolved to handle? Is there not enough info out there? Is it out of our hands?

The fact that it would be political suicide to demand the necessary changes is certainly a huge stumbling block to action, especially as we will generally vote in leaders who promise to enable us to do more, not less.

Someone was suggesting that it is futile to argue over Brexit when we have much bigger fish to fry, but I think it is still relevant. Nations having more autonomy will almost certainly make global action much more difficult.

Just thinking aloud. Feel free to rip me to pieces!

I think religion plays a big part, makes it easy to ignore any problem.

• Like 3