Climate change anyone?

the village idiot

10 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

If a person saw a man walking towards em with an axe dripping with blood and a body further up the path..  chances are they'd walk on by and have nothing to do with the situation they just witnessed..

Its called, "not my problem" syndrome..  better to pretend you didn't witness something than to deal with it..

I suspect the people who deny climate change to be under the same psychological condition..

If they ignore it, they can pretend it isn't happening..

Can you provide a link to this ‘not my problem’ syndrome? Or are you talking about Bystander Syndrome?

• Like 1

If a person saw a man walking towards em with an axe dripping with blood and a body further up the path..  chances are they'd walk on by and have nothing to do with the situation they just witnessed..

Its called, "not my problem" syndrome..  better to pretend you didn't witness something than to deal with it..

I suspect the people who deny climate change to be under the same psychological condition..
If they ignore it, they can pretend it isn't happening..

Slightly long winded analogy of the scenario Vesp, but nail and head spring to mind.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, axehaircut said:

Nice one!

Trees release their stored carbon back into the atmosphere when they die and break down/are burned, so we'd have to be shit hot on management/replanting. Could help replace some of the jobs lost to automation?

If more wood meant that less coal and oil were taken out of the ground this would help greatly too.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Wow this has gone nought to bonkers in 3.5secs ;) do remember seeing the estimated sulphur dioxide output of a volcano, krakatoa I think and it was something like millions of tonnes per day-now volcanoes have been active since Man walked the earth , way longer than our use of fossil fuels, so I surmised this Earth has dealt with it before. K

Sulphur dioxide is a funny one because sulphur can actually mitigate global temperature rise by reflecting the sun's rays. This is why pumping sulphur into the atmosphere is one of the strategies being looked at.

Volcanic activity has caused mass extinctions in the past. 

The problem at the moment is the extra CO2 that human activity is adding to the atmosphere on top of natural processes. We have only been around for a blink of an eye in Earth time and we are on the verge of wrecking it. Even more disturbing is that we know we are doing it and how to stop it but we're not doing it!

We are a very strange species.

10 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Can you provide a link to this ‘not my problem’ syndrome? Or are you talking about Bystander Syndrome?

i  came across it while watching a vid a couple of yrs back..  the fella talking about it said it was something the military had understood about for yrs..  not sure if its actually not my problem syndrome but its what he called it..  

I'll find the vid you can watch it all or watch it where I put a time mark for reference... turn on at five minutes...   for the explanation I remember him giving some yrs back..

wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somebody_else's_problem

11 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Is there any real life examples from the folks here that show they are leading by example? Genuinely interested at what all the Doom Mongers are actually doing? 

Doing some, but should be doing a lot more.

I don't own a home

I chose not to have children

I don't fly

I changed job to manage woodland.

I still eat meat, which is a big minus in my column.

• Like 4

Just now, the village idiot said:

Doing some, but should be doing a lot more.

I don't own a home

I chose not to have children

I don't fly

I changed job to manage woodland.

I still eat meat, which is a big minus in my column.

To be fair that is a lot more than most. :) 

Dont see what relevance owning a home is?

I have 3 children now and 1 on the way. I like to make up for those that choose to have none. 

I fly almost weekly. :D 

I help extract Oil. :D 

What do you have in your column? ?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

i  came across it while watching a vid a couple of yrs back..  the fella talking about it said it was something the military had understood about for yrs..  not sure if its actually not my problem syndrome but its what he called it..  

I'll find the vid you can watch it all or watch it where I put a time mark for reference... turn on at five minutes...   for the explanation I remember him giving some yrs back..

wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somebody_else's_problem

Not a syndrome then, just a weirdo on the internet.

• Like 1