Climate change anyone?

the village idiot

1 hour ago, the village idiot said:

Did your modes of transport add or subtract from your enjoyment of your holiday?

Actually it was necessary cos viewing historic sites so bicycle allows you to see a lot more n stop when you like, so wouldn't have done it any other way. K

10 hours ago, Mesterh said:

Im sure Tolkein said something similar in his fictional books. But can you please explain what on earth that means?

Also what guilt have you let go of?

Read esoteric philosophy for fifteen years and you'll understand.

The guilt of polluting, of being an eco "sinner". The warmists/alarmists are keen to conflate the skeptics skepticism with religious belief, but they don't cotton on to the religiosity of their own position - which is probably greater.

Judeo-Christian:  Man committed the original sin, its the cause all our problems.

Climate Alarmist:  Man started using fossil fuel, and now the damage is done, its the cause of all our                                          enviro problems.

Judeo-Christian:  We are all sinners. To save our eternal souls we must repent and endure penance.

Climate Alarmist:  We are all polluters. To save the planet we must sacrifice our lifestyle.

Judeo-Christian:  If you're a rich sinner, you can reduce the penance with a monetary donation                                                   (indulgence)

Climate Alarmist:  If you're a rich country you can buy carbon credits. If you're a rich person you can buy                                   social credit by doing "good works" (making a documentary about global warming)

Judeo-Christian:  The world and man is well and truly fucked, we are in the end times...any day now....

Climate Alarmist:  The world and man is well and truly fucked, we are in the end times...any day now...

Judeo-Christian:  The only way to save yourself is to repent and hope to be resurrected on judgement                                       day.

Climate Alarmist:  The only way to save yourself is for the whole species to repent and go back to the                                       stone age.

Judeo-Christian:  By denying yourself small pleasures (meat of Friday, chocolate for lent, booze on                                           weeknights etc) you can feel better about being a sinner, because at least                                                       you're making an effort. Go to confession every now and then and tell the priest what a                                 filthy hypocrite you've been. Feels good, doesn't it?

Climate Alarmist:  By denying yourself small pleasures (holidays in Spain, avocados, not buying plastic                                     crap) you can feel a bit better about all the other polluting you do. At least you're                                           making an effort.

Judeo-Christian:  All this is true because men in robes and hats (who are much more intelligent than you)                                 said so. But don't listen to the other men in different robes and hats - they work for                                       the Devil!

Climate Alarmist:  All this is true because men with white coats and graphs - who are much more                                               intelligent than you - said so. Don't listen to the other men with graphs - they work for                                   the oil companies!

(tried to format but couldn't)

Edited by Haironyourchest
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Billhook said:

Big halo and virtue signal from me at 5.9 tons but even if we all reduced it to one ton it would still be nothing compared to the energy required to keep the military just on manoeuvres let alone dropping bombs in the far East.  A single Eurofighter mission from here to drop a bomb on a target would probably use more energy than everyone's footprint here on Arbtalk

A single volcano eruption  would be similar.

The elephant in the room is the world population which has to be reduced.  The only sensible way without war or disease or compulsory cull, is to put a chemical in all sugar which makes people infertile.  You would let it be known that this was to be introduced to give people the choice..  This would help stop the obesity crisis as well as the population increase.

If this did not work you would make people take an infertility pill before they boarded and aeroplane, or bought exotic foods from far away, or bought any fossil fuel.............keep ramping it up until we arrive at a manageable one billion.

Your logic / observation is irrefutable - but the proposed amelioration is never gonna fly (whah ?

Therein lies the rub with the likes of the Green party - some great aspirations but lacking the minerals to do what needs to be done to satisfy their own agendas.

6 hours ago, the village idiot said:

You virtue signal away Billhook, that is incredible!

What are you not doing to get such a low result?

Not a lot!

i live on a farm so no commuting,  bike nearly everywhere, eat only  Scottish smoked salmon which do not fart very much.  Eat own vegetables and fruit. Solar electric and solar tube hot water and wood stove heating.  Wood taken from mainly wind fall in the farm woods and processed by me.  Very rarely fly apart from one trip to Finland at the New Year for a special birthday , first and last flight for many years.

House built from recycled bricks and wood insulated with icynene foam

Not sure how to enter the diesel and consumables used on the farm by the tractors and machinery which presumably do not count as my personal footprint as it is a business footprint.

• Like 3

Just did the test again but included the one flight and am now up to 6.6 tons

It did not ask me about my 53 year old car which although not used on a daily basis does not do more than 22 mpg on petrol

However by continuing to use it I must have saved a countless amount of energy that would have been involved in buying a regular replacement.  Not sure if that balances out!

Same goes for using the recycled bricks and wood in my home.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Billhook said:

Just did the test again but included the one flight and am now up to 6.6 tons

It did not ask me about my 53 year old car which although not used on a daily basis does not do more than 22 mpg on petrol

However by continuing to use it I must have saved a countless amount of energy that would have been involved in buying a regular replacement.  Not sure if that balances out!

Same goes for using the recycled bricks and wood in my home.

I think if I factored in my Series Landrover that gives me the carbon footprint of Iceland. K

Sorry if this has already been said d but we are doomed. Human nature as it is we are not going to take steps to alter CO2 output. The decision makers are men of an age that will not see the consequences and the money in fossil fuels is the determining factor. Let’s hope Gaia has something up her sleeve

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, westphalian said:

Sorry if this has already been said d but we are doomed. Human nature as it is we are not going to take steps to alter CO2 output. The decision makers are men of an age that will not see the consequences and the money in fossil fuels is the determining factor. Let’s hope Gaia has something up her sleeve

Live forever or die trying.

8 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Read esoteric philosophy for fifteen years and you'll understand.

The guilt of polluting, of being an eco "sinner". The warmists/alarmists are keen to conflate the skeptics skepticism with religious belief, but they don't cotton on to the religiosity of their own position - which is probably greater.

Judeo-Christian:  Man committed the original sin, its the cause all our problems.

Climate Alarmist:  Man started using fossil fuel, and now the damage is done, its the cause of all our                                          enviro problems.

Judeo-Christian:  We are all sinners. To save our eternal souls we must repent and endure penance.

Climate Alarmist:  We are all polluters. To save the planet we must sacrifice our lifestyle.

Judeo-Christian:  If you're a rich sinner, you can reduce the penance with a monetary donation                                                   (indulgence)

Climate Alarmist:  If you're a rich country you can buy carbon credits. If you're a rich person you can buy                                   social credit by doing "good works" (making a documentary about global warming)

Judeo-Christian:  The world and man is well and truly fucked, we are in the end times...any day now....

Climate Alarmist:  The world and man is well and truly fucked, we are in the end times...any day now...

Judeo-Christian:  The only way to save yourself is to repent and hope to be resurrected on judgement                                       day.

Climate Alarmist:  The only way to save yourself is for the whole species to repent and go back to the                                       stone age.

Judeo-Christian:  By denying yourself small pleasures (meat of Friday, chocolate for lent, booze on                                           weeknights etc) you can feel better about being a sinner, because at least                                                       you're making an effort. Go to confession every now and then and tell the priest what a                                 filthy hypocrite you've been. Feels good, doesn't it?

Climate Alarmist:  By denying yourself small pleasures (holidays in Spain, avocados, not buying plastic                                     crap) you can feel a bit better about all the other polluting you do. At least you're                                           making an effort.

Judeo-Christian:  All this is true because men in robes and hats (who are much more intelligent than you)                                 said so. But don't listen to the other men in different robes and hats - they work for                                       the Devil!

Climate Alarmist:  All this is true because men with white coats and graphs - who are much more                                               intelligent than you - said so. Don't listen to the other men with graphs - they work for                                   the oil companies!

(tried to format but couldn't)

I can't quite zero in on what you actually think is happening Hairychest.

On one hand you appear to be saying that the scientists are just alarmists and false prophets, concocting a false narrative of human induced climate change in conspiracy with some group of political elite.

In a different mood you appear to be saying that human induced climate change is not only very real, but positively mandated by the Man/God hybrid that wants to burn fossil fuels to produce 'it's' own idea of plant heavy Eden.

Could you please set me straight. I am very confused.

• Like 1