Climate change anyone?

the village idiot

7 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Because "God" isn't a two-dimensional cartoon character. God is a word for a concept that is beyond most people, at an intellectual level. To put is simply, Man is God fragmented. Our disembodied collective consciousness, in the distant past, formed this planet, and all life on it. All life, plant and animal, is an aspect of Man. We are the centre of the universe. Man/God is self conflicted though, there is confusion about the way forward, hence debates like this. I let go of the guilt and life is so much better now. 

It turns out God , well he  is just a Squirrel and I shot and eat that sonbithc !  ( The Revernant )

• Haha 1

Big halo and virtue signal from me at 5.9 tons but even if we all reduced it to one ton it would still be nothing compared to the energy required to keep the military just on manoeuvres let alone dropping bombs in the far East.  A single Eurofighter mission from here to drop a bomb on a target would probably use more energy than everyone's footprint here on Arbtalk

A single volcano eruption  would be similar.

The elephant in the room is the world population which has to be reduced.  The only sensible way without war or disease or compulsory cull, is to put a chemical in all sugar which makes people infertile.  You would let it be known that this was to be introduced to give people the choice..  This would help stop the obesity crisis as well as the population increase.

If this did not work you would make people take an infertility pill before they boarded and aeroplane, or bought exotic foods from far away, or bought any fossil fuel.............keep ramping it up until we arrive at a manageable one billion.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Big J said:

Couple the 80 litres a week of road diesel usage for my van with the 150 litres a week of red diesel usage and I'm definitely an environmental terrorist!

Don't be too hard on yourself J. It makes a big difference what you are driving your gas guzzlers to do.

Worth us all bearing in mind though that the limit the WWF calculator sets (around 10 tonnes per annum) will only limit the effects of climate change to catastrophic.

4 minutes ago, Billhook said:

put a chemical in all sugar which makes people infertile

They have been doing that for many years ,well...with the plastic most tins are sprayed with to stop them rusting, and its turning us all gay apparently. Testosterone levels and sperm counts have never been so low. Just look at the world around you and it does appear to be true.

12 hours ago, the village idiot said:

Doing some, but should be doing a lot more.

I don't own a home

I chose not to have children

I don't fly

I changed job to manage woodland.

I still eat meat, which is a big minus in my *colon*.

Fixed that ;) k

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Because "God" isn't a two-dimensional cartoon character. God is a word for a concept that is beyond most people, at an intellectual level. To put is simply, Man is God fragmented. Our disembodied collective consciousness, in the distant past, formed this planet, and all life on it. All life, plant and animal, is an aspect of Man. We are the centre of the universe. Man/God is self conflicted though, there is confusion about the way forward, hence debates like this. I let go of the guilt and life is so much better now. 

An I thought ' ....god is a DJ' ? k

( DID use train / ferry / cycle all last week. It is doable for holiday but does fail once past the continent like US or Aus' )

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Big J said:

Probably. The questionnaire is a little simplistic, but quite interesting.

Yes some of them break it down far better. There is nothing about our work in that one so you are probably doing better than it makes out. You don't sit in a large concrete office with heating, computers etc whurring away all day plus you are doing sustainable work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big J said:

I'm not sure that flying really is that bad when viewed strictly from a C02 point of view. A single flight for me from Bristol to Luxembourg produces 110kg of CO2.

The problem with flight over cars is not so much the CO2 per mile but the miles that it enables you to do that you wouldn't or couldn't in a car. Had a friend fly to Australia for a party! That's a 19000 mile round trip over a long weekend. That's around 2 years of car use for many.