Climate change anyone?

the village idiot

1 minute ago, the village idiot said:

Yup.

A really detailed questionnaire would presumably offset some of that fuel against the Wood product you produce and the increased forest growth yield you generate.

Probably. The questionnaire is a little simplistic, but quite interesting.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, the village idiot said:

Wow!

Why didn't God just create the World he wanted in the first place?

Could have saved a whole heap of bother.

Because "God" isn't a two-dimensional cartoon character. God is a word for a concept that is beyond most people, at an intellectual level. To put is simply, Man is God fragmented. Our disembodied collective consciousness, in the distant past, formed this planet, and all life on it. All life, plant and animal, is an aspect of Man. We are the centre of the universe. Man/God is self conflicted though, there is confusion about the way forward, hence debates like this. I let go of the guilt and life is so much better now. 

4 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Because "God" isn't a two-dimensional cartoon character. God is a word for a concept that is beyond most people, at an intellectual level. To put is simply, Man is God fragmented. Our disembodied collective consciousness, in the distant past, formed this planet, and all life on it. All life, plant and animal, is an aspect of Man. We are the centre of the universe. Man/God is self conflicted though, there is confusion about the way forward, hence debates like this. I let go of the guilt and life is so much better now. 

Im sure Tolkein said something similar in his fictional books. But can you please explain what on earth that means?

Also what guilt have you let go of?

31 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Appreciate your candour there Hairychest.

There is a tiny sliver of commonality in our world views, based around one aspect of your thoughts on conciousness. I struggle with the rest to be honest.

Probably best debated on a different thread.

7 hours ago, Mesterh said:

16 tonnes, travel was nearly 50%.

Looks like they need to improve aeroplanes, a lot.

7 hours ago, the village idiot said:

The national psyche summed up perfectly there Mesterh.?

Travel was a killer here too with the “tips for improvement fairly meaningless (a) in a rural setting and (b) given the work sector:

cycle more and use public transport!

As to flights, I do fly and it is voluntary / choice but take the last one, a return flight to Israel for less that a train ticket to Glasgow. 

Whilst those parameters remain, the National psyche will remain or the ‘solutions’ or ‘incentives’ must come from government - provide / improve rural public transport at a level which makes it attractive and tackle the source of air travel pollution by tech improvements. 

Could never go vegan but treating meat as a treat and being very thrifty with it is just good health, economic and environmental sense. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Travel was a killer here too with the “tips for improvement fairly meaningless (a) in a rural setting and (b) given the work sector:

cycle more and use public transport!

As to flights, I do fly and it is voluntary / choice but take the last one, a return flight to Israel for less that a train ticket to Glasgow. 

Whilst those parameters remain, the National psyche will remain or the ‘solutions’ or ‘incentives’ must come from government - provide / improve rural public transport at a level which makes it attractive and tackle the source of air travel pollution by tech improvements. 

Could never go vegan but treating meat as a treat and being very thrifty with it is just good health, economic and environmental sense. 

Foreign holidays are something that makes life worth living for a lot of people. I can see that it might be counter productive to cut those out.

A lot of flights are business flights, so that people can meet face to face to do deals. This is understandable, but surely now we have the tech to carry out this function in a less ideal but workable remote fashion?

• Like 1

I'm not sure that flying really is that bad when viewed strictly from a C02 point of view. A single flight for me from Bristol to Luxembourg produces 110kg of CO2. Now my van I think on paper does about 250g of CO2 per KM but most of my work is towing on steep hills on mud terrain tyres. So in calculating the CO2 from the MPG drop from the manufacturers figures, I must be doing at least 400g/CO2 per KM. So in reality, I only need to do around 300km in the van to exceed the flight's CO2 output for a single passenger. Even if I drove like an undertaker on super efficient tyres, it would only take 450km to exceed the CO2 from a flight which is much longer. 

I realise that part of the environmental damage is where the planes put the pollution in the atmosphere, but I don't think flying is as bad as publicised. 

Couple the 80 litres a week of road diesel usage for my van with the 150 litres a week of red diesel usage and I'm definitely an environmental terrorist!

• Like 1