Climate change anyone?

the village idiot

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

Did the WWF carbon footprint calculator (https://footprint.wwf.org.uk/#/~)and came out at 7.6 tonnes per year when the 2020 target is 10.5 but it's still way too high to be sustainable if everyone wants to live as we do. It's not been cheap getting a lower footprint but it's cheap in the long run with low running costs for the home.

Ramp up the charcoal side of the business to about 50 tonnes/annum should leave you with 5 tonnes of fines to spread on the field that would offset at least half of your carbon footprint.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Man was created by God (or nature) to burn all the fossil fuels and restock the atmosphere with CO2 to restore the earth to its proper state - warm, wet, and nutritious to plants, ensuring life on earth continues. It's our destiny to use fossil fuels to drive civilization and our own collective development, with personal freedom, enhanced by cheap energy, being the most important tool to this end. It doesn't matter if we mess up the earth in the process, it survived a comet strike, etc, it can handle it. Elements in governments in the West want to set up a communist style NWO. They realised that this will never be possible while people have access to cheap energy, so they want to ration the energy sector, thereby controlling the economy. They use compliant "experts" to write up papers with tweaked data, who rely on funding and research grants that don't come unless they are on board with the warmest ideology. The liberal media are part of this cabal as well. The real NWO have no intention of actually reducing CO2 emissions, they just want control over the supply.

Wow!

Why didn't God just create the World he wanted in the first place?

Could have saved a whole heap of bother.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Grim reading indeed.

As I do love a good ribeye steak, drive a car, own a house and have done a lot of globe trotting and plan to do more I think my only option to help in the fight against global warming is to campaign to bring in battery cow farming. Sorry Mrs cow but wheatbix taste crap without milk and a pork chop just doesnt cut it.

20 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

Firstly Worldwide sinister political plays don't happen

Well thats an opinion, not a fact. All the main players are constantly jockying for position and dominance. Without sounding like a nut its amazing what was once considers a Conspiracy Theory and now is fact. 

21 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

secondly it would be a very bizarre self promotion ploy for politicians to piss off all their citizens

Why? We've had all means of defending ourselves removed. If we where to be forced to live a certain why where does that force end? You dont really get to pick and chose you know. 

3 hours ago, tree-fancier123 said:

talking about climate change with a customer of mine - she says her son went to see a glacier and some years later her daughter went to the same place, but it had retreated (this she attributed to global warming) and the daughter couldn't walk to the glacier like her son had done at the same spot some years before, instead they had to take a helicopter ride to see it.

It occurred to me after hearing this story that the helicopter ride to see the retreating glacier wasn't exactly helping the problem...

At a guess, she is talking about the Mer de Glace in Chamonix, where I spent over a decade of my life, and the difference that I personally have observed in the health of the glaciers, not just during the span of a decade but between each and every winter, is astounding, and absolutely terrifying. Human-accelerated climate change is not only affecting, but destroying people's way of life all across the Alps as ski resorts close, mountains disintegrate, and lives are lost, and it is all happening at an increasing rate year by year. 

I have to say, I'm really glad that I'm mostly here on the forum to look for advice on arb work, and not to help inform my opinion on important matters like climate change, because a whole bunch of you are absolute fruit loops. Some of the things I've read in this thread have left me stunned, my mouth hanging open like a goldfish on a patio. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Making less polluting purchases does not really make any difference unless the entire human race is singing from the same hymn sheet. Problem: being Green puts you at an economic disadvantage, and no one wants be be left holding the baby, no one wants to be the last to sign up the the pyramid scheme. It's like with atom bombs - if one nation has them, everyone has got to have them, or one nation dominates the world. But once they exist, you can't agree to disarm, because the knowledge is there and any tin pot dictatorship can build them in secret. Same with fossil fuel, it's there. Someone, somewhere is going to use it, and doninate, so we all have to use it or get left behind. 

Yes sadly I have to agree with this last piece of your post. It doesn't seem to be within the wit of mankind to do anything because there is always going to be some self obsessed person to crash the plane with all its passengers.

Does it matter? No nothing matters.

Will I change in the knowledge I cannot influence the outcome? No I'm  too old to change my ways and have invested genes in the hope there will be a future

It's a bit like democratically  voting green in a conservative stronghold

We as the human race have mined coal,salt, dimonds ,gold, iron, lead and many other minerals  we have drilled for oil and gas we have dug massive holes in the earths crust called quarry,s and then filled them full of our waste, all these things we have done, which at the time we thought was a good idea called progress have caused even bigger problems later down the line, sink holes subsidence and mass pollution, one of the latest big isues is plastic pollution we have filled the oceans with it, and if any of you so the program on tv called drowning in plastic and if you did,nt see it watch it as it was one massive eye opener in to what we are doing to our planet, as the human race we will destroy our self,s along with the planet as well, so may be moving to another planet dosent seem such a mad idea at times,,,,,

• Like 2