Climate change anyone?

the village idiot

310px-Roundtriptimes.png.a06dc1d73b95568c9e6f66d84ae35f34.png

Frozen embryos

Main article: Embryo colonization

A robotic interstellar mission carrying some number of frozen early stage human embryos is another theoretical possibility. This method of space colonization requires, among other things, the development of an artificial uterus, the prior detection of a habitable terrestrial planet, and advances in the field of fully autonomous mobile robots and educational robots that would replace human parents.[

22 minutes ago, tree-fancier123 said:

310px-Roundtriptimes.png.a06dc1d73b95568c9e6f66d84ae35f34.png

Frozen embryos

Main article: Embryo colonization

A robotic interstellar mission carrying some number of frozen early stage human embryos is another theoretical possibility. This method of space colonization requires, among other things, the development of an artificial uterus, the prior detection of a habitable terrestrial planet, and advances in the field of fully autonomous mobile robots and educational robots that would replace human parents.[

I like your optimism?

I think it's pretty unlikely we'll reach that level of advancement if we don't curb CO2. Too busy fighting over resources.

Plus it does nothing for the billions left to suffer.

It will be a miracle if we ever get humans out of our own solar system, let alone into the next planetary system. Other galaxies? Forget it. The distances are mind meltingly collosal.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

I think it's pretty unlikely we'll reach that level of advancement if we don't curb CO2. Too busy fighting over resources.

talking about climate change with a customer of mine - she says her son went to see a glacier and some years later her daughter went to the same place, but it had retreated (this she attributed to global warming) and the daughter couldn't walk to the glacier like her son had done at the same spot some years before, instead they had to take a helicopter ride to see it.

It occurred to me after hearing this story that the helicopter ride to see the retreating glacier wasn't exactly helping the problem...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

I would be interested to hear what it would take to convince the naysayers of man-made climate change.

The psychology of this is really interesting. It was partly why I started the thread, to see what the feeling was amongst us wood chuckers.

Given the all encompassing nature of the problem it is a bit odd (like the girl said in Beau's video) that the world isn't talking about it all the time.

Is it too bad to contemplate? Are the worst effects too far in the future? Are the sacrifices we would have to make a deal breaker? Have we gone too far down the road of dismissing expert opinion when we don't like the findings? Is an existential crisis more than our brains are evolved to handle? Is there not enough info out there? Is it out of our hands?

The fact that it would be political suicide to demand the necessary changes is certainly a huge stumbling block to action, especially as we will generally vote in leaders who promise to enable us to do more, not less.

Someone was suggesting that it is futile to argue over Brexit when we have much bigger fish to fry, but I think it is still relevant. Nations having more autonomy will almost certainly make global action much more difficult.

Just thinking aloud. Feel free to rip me to pieces!

• Like 2

Wow this has gone nought to bonkers in 3.5secs ;) do remember seeing the estimated sulphur dioxide output of a volcano, krakatoa I think and it was something like millions of tonnes per day-now volcanoes have been active since Man walked the earth , way longer than our use of fossil fuels, so I surmised this Earth has dealt with it before. K

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

The psychology of this is really interesting. It was partly why I started the thread, to see what the feeling was amongst us wood chuckers.

Given the all encompassing nature of the problem it is a bit odd (like the girl said in Beau's video) that the world isn't talking about it all the time.

Is it too bad to contemplate? Are the worst effects too far in the future? Are the sacrifices we would have to make a deal breaker? Have we gone too far down the road of dismissing expert opinion when we don't like the findings? Is an existential crisis more than our brains are evolved to handle? Is there not enough info out there? Is it out of our hands?

The fact that it would be political suicide to demand the necessary changes is certainly a huge stumbling block to action, especially as we will generally vote in leaders who promise to enable us to do more, not less.

Someone was suggesting that it is futile to argue over Brexit when we have much bigger fish to fry, but I think it is still relevant. Nations having more autonomy will almost certainly make global action much more difficult.

Just thinking aloud. Feel free to rip me to pieces!

If a person saw a man walking towards em with an axe dripping with blood and a body further up the path..  chances are they'd walk on by and have nothing to do with the situation they just witnessed..

Its called, "not my problem" syndrome..  better to pretend you didn't witness something than to deal with it..

I suspect the people who deny climate change to be under the same psychological condition..

If they ignore it, they can pretend it isn't happening..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m in the good books of these scientists then, i had a chestnut tree grown from seed that we had no room for at home or at my dads etc, so planted it randomly in a field below work, just above the river behind a fence, so the sheep and cows couldn’t wreck my efforts! [emoji106]?
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

That's it there for me. Until we show we are onboard no government is going to do what's needed so I would suggest we need to act on our own not wait for leadership. I know it would/will be tough as Jonny RFT so succinctly described but it's going to be tough anyway so better to lead the way instead of being forced to catch up. 

TVI maybe you could devise a poll that might shed a better light on the subject and where people are?